Is iMessage down for some?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gslrider, Apr 1, 2015.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Has anyone been having issue with iMessage today? Any fix or information would be greatly appreciated.

Mine has been acting up all day. Was perfectly fine last night. Grey bubble for texts sent to me, and blue bubbles when I send text to iPhone users. However, starting this morning, without doing anything different to my phone other then texting, it was green bubbles when I send to iPhone users. More specifically, it was blue first, then it said not delivered, then resent as SMS (green bubble). After 3 texts, it stop trying to send through iMessage, and is now stuck as SMS. Even though iMessage is turned ON on my phone. And NO replies ALL DAY.

I texted Android users I know, and they received my texts, and I received theirs. Just when I got home from work, I finally received a text from my brother. Thinking it might have been because I was using LTE, and not wifi. But when I replied back, it was still a green bubble. My wifi is strong at home. He also tells me, it's blue for him when he sends to other iPhone users. He also mentioned that he did reply back, and it went through (even sent me a screenshot of it). Except I never received them. Yes, iMessage is turned on. Short of resetting my phone to factory, I've done all the troubleshooting involved with fixing iMessage issues. Hard reboot, turning iMessage off then on, resetting network. No luck. And I am NOT going to reset my phone, when it was working just fine. Plus, resetting my phone which I've done many times on other iPhones I've owned, worked maybe 40% of the time. Not worth the hassle for me.

What annoys me a lot about Apple products, let's use the iPhone as an example. It works just fine, then out of the blue, stuff like this happens. And then Apple tells you to reset your phone. The issue isn't about resetting my phone, it's crap happening out of nowhere. Conspiracy or not, I still believe Apple pushes stuff to iPhones so that the user is forced to upgrade or update. It's the only explanation for random occurrences, that is inexplicable.

Apple...it just doesn't work.

2. Linuxpro, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

Linuxpro macrumors regular

To be honest, I know a lot of Apple users, and every one of them has difficulty with iMessage. Most of them opt out of it completely in favor of WhatsApp, or others. iMessage has to be the single greatest "stain" upon the mobile industry, and something akin to placing a note in a bottle, tossing it into the river and wishing real hard that a person upstream finds it (a bit of graphic sarcasm there).

Honestly, the service is riddled with problems. The biggest problem is the fact that most users have no idea they are using it. Apple ambushed its customers by automatically, and silently, opting us all into it. I used my Apple devices for nearly three years before I read about iMessage in the press. Prior to that, I never noticed the color of the bubbles (colorblind). I only noticed that messages failed to deliver from time to time. I work in IT, and I was completely "blindsided". What chance does "John consumer" have?

I used the de-register tool to remove my number, as anextra measure of insurance. I had already disabled it on my iPhone and iPad. The very first thing I did with my new MacBook, was to delete the messaging app. I suggest everyone do the same and give iMessage the "boot" it deserves.

3. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

I've thought about turning it off as well. But I've found with iPhone to iPhone, iMessage (for the most part) is faster in delivering than SMS. Including videos, pics and audio. I do agree with you how Apple has strong armed it's consumers. I've believed for a long time now that Apple pushes stuff to our phones for their agenda.

One of the is the iOS updates. Every time there is an update, it automatically gets downloaded onto my phone, without me doing anything except charging it. Which is odd, because I made sure that downloading updates automatically is disabled. Yet, it's there. And I end up losing anywhere from 500MB to 2GB of space. I then have to search for the Update and manually delete each time. You also ever notice how iPhones (at least for me) start to act weird, and becomes more and more unreliable whenever a new iOS or iPhone becomes available? As you mentioned, it's pretty obvious that Apple CAN push stuff to our phones without us even knowing.

In regards to my issue. There's definitely something wrong with my phone or account. This morning, a friend texted me (an iPhone user), I replied back and the bubble was green. He replied back. On my second reply the bubble was blue. And it's stayed blue in our text convo. So I decided to text my bro, and another friend. Like the first guy, my first text was green bubble, then blue after that. And it's stayed blue. It's as if my phone was purging all green bubbles to make room for blue ones.

I'm guessing something was/is wrong with the iMessage servers, and some accounts are being affected. Slowly but surely people are starting to be able to use them again. If this is the case, I wish Apple were more transparent and let us know. Instead of their "secrecy" b.s. I've been an Apple product user since the late 80's, and Apple in the last few years (since Jobs passed) has been the worse Apple to date, customer experience wise. Sure they are the top of the tech giants, and make millions every year. But the only ones who actually benefit now, are the stockholders and execs. They manipulated new the new generation, and the tech illiterate to be Apple sheeple. Their "innovation" has been lack luster as well.

4. Linuxpro macrumors regular

My macbook was having trouble with Wifi. It turned out that some non-Apple Bluetooth devices trash the wifi.

My aftermarket mouse was trashing it. I bought the overpriced Apple mouse and suddenly my WiFi works!

Hmmm, was that their plan? :eek:

5. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

At this point, based on my own experiences, I wouldn't put it passed them. They are becoming like Sony. Where only their products work with their other products. Third party hardware gets finicky, or doesn't work at all.