Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidiot62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
Hi folks with ML,

On lion here with messages beta and it is still as buggy as the day the beta was released. Messages still show up out of order when you open the messages app after having a conversation on the iPhone, lots of stubborn notifications that won't go away and occasional issues with "caller id". I'm just wondering if this is an issue with the beta app that is fixed in the ML betas or if apple is gonna have to scramble to get it fixed by the end of the month.

Thanks!

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hi folks with ML,

On lion here with messages beta and it is still as buggy as the day the beta was released. Messages still show up out of order when you open the messages app after having a conversation on the iPhone, lots of stubborn notifications that won't go away and occasional issues with "caller id". I'm just wondering if this is an issue with the beta app that is fixed in the ML betas or if apple is gonna have to scramble to get it fixed by the end of the month.

Thanks!

I haven't noticed any problems in ML with Messages. I'm though that all the kinks will be worked out by the release.

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
i wonder when they will fix the email + phonenumber problem...

its still there in dp4 :/

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
iMessage beta is a mess. I am running it on lion, and it is always doing something unexpected. It always sends, but thats about it. New messages don't always come in, messages and complete conversations delete themselves. Does not affect whats on my phone, but right now the only use it has is to send messages. It is really awesome to be able to send messages from my computer.

I also wonder why they kept all the other chat protocols, it just makes the app messy. If you want to do IM get adium. But thats just my opinion.

Vidiot62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
iMessage beta is a mess. I am running it on lion, and it is always doing something unexpected. It always sends, but thats about it. New messages don't always come in, messages and complete conversations delete themselves. Does not affect whats on my phone, but right now the only use it has is to send messages. It is really awesome to be able to send messages from my computer.

I also wonder why they kept all the other chat protocols, it just makes the app messy. If you want to do IM get adium. But thats just my opinion.

Yup. I'm surprised they never released an update to the beta, so hopefully they're just putting all the fixes into ML.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Yup. I'm surprised they never released an update to the beta, so hopefully they're just putting all the fixes into ML.

I'm thinking the open beta for Lion wasn't so much for app bug finding and testing, (granted, it probably helped) but it was more for testing how iMessages servers worked on the OS X side with a larger number of users. Devs are one thing, but having a large number of average users testing it is a great way to stress the servers in a more realistic way.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK

I like this, and think it should be added to Messages on the iPhone. Having one app for everything is great, and with Adium you won't get the benefits of Notification Centre and integration. Not to mention having to use two apps.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
the problem is that if i send imessages from my iphone it doesn't show up in messages on my mac.

and i thought that will be fixed with ML or with iOS 6...i'm not sure which of that two

Yes, this will be fixed with iOS6 in the fall.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
The phone number issue is fixed in iOS 6, meaning if I send/receive an iMessage with my phone number, my iPad now gets the message and can send from it as well. I'm assuming the same thing will be possible in the GM for Mountain Lion.

meemster

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
It's now September and all the same problems in the OP still exist

Except maybe the caller ID issue. Sorry, it's November, not September. Whoops

I'm on ML and Messages for the Mac is still buggy as ever, despite some iterations of ML updates. Messages show up out of order, notifications is a mess, sometimes messages don't send, sometimes the chat window opens and all the messages instantly rearrange themselves.

Sigh.
:confused:

Last edited:

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
I have noticed a few bugs with Messages in ML, mainly with notifications. When the app is closed and I receive and iMessage sometimes I dont get notified.

This is fixed after a reboot, but thats a pain in the ass.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Yes

Yup, it sure is. It will repeat notifications for messages that have been viewed several times, it will display messages in the wrong order, it will miss messages, and it will fail to sync conversations from the iPhone sometimes.

Hopefully it will get straightened out soon.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Ever since the outages, my iMessage hasn't been sending messages.

Example:

It might be a day or so after I last messaged someone, so I try sending them a message so I hit enter and as far as I am concerned the message is sent right? Wrong. Often I'll go back to the app and see the red ! next to the message I had sent. After hitting retry a few times it eventually sends.

Then today, it hasn't been syncing chat threads with my iPad.

Anyone else had similar issues?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
While it is an improvement over beta, there are still a few kinks with Messages.app. I set it up for both my cousins and syncing works perfectly, there will be times where the Messages.app will goof up until you close and reopen it. It's not that big of a deal because it's primary and only use is to send messages but I'm sure it's something that will be refined down the road.

If there is something I wish they could improve, it's the use if iChat and the integration. It works as it should be you feel it's a bit messy like your messages are all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.