Is iMessage much faster with iOS 5 GM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsquare, Oct 5, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

I'm sure most of you are aware of the speed issues with the iOS 5 betas. Has anyone tested iMessage with iOS 5 GM? Is it instantaneous now or at least as fast as SMS?

2. davidnyjets macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

I used to have a BB Bold (so I used BBM), also had a bunch of betas of iOS 5, and now have the GM.

The GM iMessage (and the last beta) are extremely fast, IMO. My messages come up delivered (assuming the recipient has delivery notification enabled) within a matter of seconds. Same goes for the 'read' feature, too.

It's a beautiful thing. Definitely is at least as fast as BBM, but probably faster.

3. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed the last beta on both mine and my gf's IP4 and iMessage was slow. It took more than 10 seconds for a confirmation.

4. davidnyjets macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

Wow. No sure if this matters but were you message each other? Or other people with betas? Maybe there weren't on the same betas you? If you were messaging your lady and it was still slow, that's surprising.

All I know is that the iOS 5 GM is extremely fast. Very pleased with how quickly it delivers/is marked as read.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have my test iPhone on the GM, while my other developer's iPhone is still running Beta 7(haven't had the chance to upgrade his yet) and I've noticed that it's very slow between both devices.

6. davidnyjets macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

Guess I'm getting lucky.

My friend who is running the GM as well have been iMessaging back forth constantly past week. Literally flawless on both our ends.

7. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

8. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

this is going to be a really stupid question but how do i get imessage? i have the iOS 5 gm and it is activated in my settings.

is it just in the messages app? if so how do i know I'm going to send a free photo with iMessage instead of paying for one through my contract?

9. adztaylor, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

adztaylor macrumors 68000

iMessage works through your standard messaging app. If you're going to message someone who has iMessage enabled the send button will be blue instead of green plus it will say "iMessage" instead of text message in the text box before you type. It automatically detects what set up the other person is using.

Example below so you can see the differences:

[​IMG]

10. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys