Is iMessage working for you?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I have iOS 5 on my iPad and iPhone and am trying to test send a message between the two and its not working.

From I send from the phone to the iPad, on the phone it says it went thru but it never sows up in th iPad. When I send from the iPad to the phone, I get an error.

Anyone else having problems?

2. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I had to add my email to iMessage in the Settings, and on my iPhone too. It worked fine after then.

3. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here but iMessage isn't working on my iPad or my wife's iPad...it won't send or receive.

4. gregrose macrumors 6502

Make sure to turn it on & setup your emails with it. Works for me. Had long convos with my iPad to friend iphone

5. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

I have the emails setup, same email address I have setup on my iPhone and the iPhone iMessage works. Can't get either my iPad or my wife's to work. :(

6. tantric132 macrumors newbie

Same here, I did a complete restore without using a backup and set up my iCloud accounts and everything, but everytime I press the Message app it asks for me to login to my Apple ID...which fails.

http://i56.tinypic.com/14w9blv.png

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Well, I'd like to explain what I did.

Everything on both my iPhone and my iPad, is under one AppleID. Almost everything is under one email address - the one my AppleID is.

On my iPhone, my primary device, it just worked under my phone number, and presumably, intelligently, my email address. On my iPad, it asked for an email address, which is all it can use. I gave it another email address I had.

Worked flawlessly the first time. I hope that helps a little.

8. deamon2001 macrumors newbie

Try deleting the message threads on your phone. As soon as I did that everything started working for me. Occasionally a message with come through as a text and my iPad will stop updating, just delete the thread and start over.

Hope this helps.

9. SilentKiller macrumors newbie

10. lightbreeze, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

lightbreeze macrumors member

Yes, it worked for me after some trial & error.

Make sure that you are using different iCloud ids for your iPad and iPhone in order to send messages between them. (You can have the same AppleID but need to have different iCloud ids in order to exchange messages between two of your own devices.)

For example, if the iPad's iCloud id is joe123@me.com, the iPhone's iCloud id needs to be different-- joe456@me.com.

On iPhone, you can set/change this under Settings> Messages > Receive At

Conversely, if you want to receive the same messages on both devices, you need to use the same iCloud ID for both.

11. SilentKiller macrumors newbie

to unify both iMessages I need to split the iCloud ID? really??? :confused:

12. lightbreeze macrumors member

You can create up to three iCloud IDs under the same Apple ID, I think. (Did I read that somewhere else on this board?)

You can also enable more than one receiving point per device-- my iPhone has two -- my phone # and my main AppleID/iCloudID email address. You could always add more iCloudIDs for sending/receiving msgs.

----------

Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to send between your OWN devices? Or synchronize the messages that you receive on two of your devices (iPhone/iPad) from other people?

13. SilentKiller macrumors newbie

this one! I've tried it all..
    in my main Apple ID I've got a secondary email.. how do I associate the second mail to another iCloud account??

14. SilentKiller macrumors newbie

I'm goin insane here.. I've tried to use another Apple ID on iMessage on the iPad.. same thing!! I can't send any message :(
    I don't understand..

15. lightbreeze macrumors member

Are you using your .me address for both devices?

From this article:

To ensure your Message is received on all your connected devices, you must have them sent to your Apple ID email address. In limited testing, if someone sent me a test message to just my phone number, I only got the text on my iPhone. However, if they sent the message to my me.com address (which is my Apple ID address), I got it on all devices. This is because Apple can’t associate your phone number (assigned by your carrier) with devices other than your iPhone. Also, if you’ve added multiple email addresses to the “Receive At” setting on one iOS device, you’ll need to make sure you add them manually to any other iOS devices you own, too, if you want to receive messages at that address on all devices.

16. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Problem fixed here...and it turned out to be the exact same thing that happened when FaceTime was released and I have no explanation as to why this is.

For some very weird reason, with both my iPad and my wife's iPad, when connected to our home network, the iMessage (just like FaceTime before) would simply not work...like it wasn't connecting to the internet/server. All other internet stuff on the iPads worked.

By taking the iPads away from the house and connecting to a different wireless network (friend's house), both instantly worked...and here is the kicker...they now both work on my home network too! I didn't change any settings or do ANYTHING. Like I said, same exact thing happened with FaceTime...could not get it to work until I connected the iPads to another network and then it would work on my own network as well.

How weird is that?

17. bluechipBMW macrumors member

I had the same problem and this is what I did...
    - go to settings
    - click on messages
    - click on receive at
    - click on apple id and sign out
    - then sign back in

That's what I did to resolve my problem.

18. SilentKiller macrumors newbie

did that a hundred time! still not working..
    now I have my me.com account on the iPad, and ethe hotmail.com account on the iPhone (they are actually the same).. I've set the caller ID in every way I could on both devices.. but the iPad just won't work..

I hope the network change may mean something.. I'll try this evening..

19. SilentKiller macrumors newbie

wow it's working now!
    I actually did a change of network, putting my iPhone 3g network on the iPad, via blutooth.. it works perfectly even on wifi now!

thanks HXGuy!

20. yoavcs macrumors regular

You need to change DNS servers on your home router.

Use OpenDNS or Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). That will solve it.

21. xcel360 macrumors regular

So once set up properly I should receive an iMessage on my iPad and iPhone simultaneously? so when i'm texting a friend at work when i get home the entire conversation should be on my iPad so i can continue the conversation and see the previous messages as well?

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Last night I sent out some iMessages to some people I knew had upgraded, just to see how my iPad and iPhone would handle them. You get the messages on all devices simultaneously and can continue the discussion on any of them. If you delete the message, it deletes on all of the devices.

What amazed me was that it's instantaneous. It takes milliseconds for your changes to reflect on the other devices.

23. xcel360 macrumors regular

So I still can't get it to work. Both my iPhone 4 and iPad ( wifi / 1 gen )have the same email account as my receive at email. It my main iTunes account that is a @ gmail account. Should I create a @me address or should that not matter.

I'm getting iMessages to my iPhone from my friend but they are not showing up on my iPad at all.

I have logged in and out on both devices, done a hard reset and even put my phone on 3G and left my iPad on wifi and it still won't sync up.

Any help would be appreciated. :confused::confused:

24. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Mine wasn't working across all my iOS devices until I realized I had one of them signed into an @me address for the Apple ID. It's not until I set them all up to use the SAME iTunes Apple ID address that they now all work.
    Try that!
    There is tooooo much confusion on what Apple ID to use.

25. Bag302 macrumors regular

This worked for me. Thanks.