Is Incase no longer making the 17" UMBP hard shell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rampant.A.I., Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I've been to a couple of Apple stores this week looking for an Incase replacement for the Speck hard shell I've had on my MBP since I bought it. No luck. Since it's after the holidays, I assumed they were just out of stock.

But when I checked the Incase site, the 17" Black Satin hard case is no longer listed. A Google search isn't turning up any results either, the only case I can find is the Speck model.

2. TechStooge macrumors member

i dont understand why dont u buy a 17inch speck case? there better then incase

3. Rampant.A.I. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most of the reviews I've read say the opposite, but I'm not sure since I've never handled the Incase version. My Speck case has been pretty great overall, but the top display clips are now broken off, and the rubber coating is peeling.

Why do you say they're better? I may end up with a 2nd Speck case, but I'm curious.

4. lionheart619 macrumors member

Is ipearl cases good? Or does it damage the macbook pro?

5. systole macrumors member

systole

OP response

To the OP, unfortunately after exchanging emails with incase, in a short answer no. I've been wanting one for my MBP too. I'd suggest eBay, as there was a seller in england selling them still a few months back, I just didin't want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs.

6. phaedarus macrumors regular

Oddly enough, I had an equal amount of difficulty finding the Moshi Codex 17 inch Macbook sleeve. In fact, no store I visited in Toronto had any in stock but they had an abundance of 15 and 13 inch variants. Same with clam shells and other accessories that are not size agnostic.

Either the 17 inch Macbook Pro is quite unpopular or perhaps they know something that the rest of us don't as to the future of the 17 inch model?

7. TechStooge macrumors member

BECAUSE I HAVE BOTH

BECAUSE not many people carry a DESKTOP REPLACEMENT COMPUTER

8. Rampant.A.I. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, all

I thought something along the same lines. If they're phasing out the hard cases for something better, I'll wait. If they're going to stop carrying them...

...then I better get one ASAP. I like having my Mac protected, even if it mostly goes from my inside desk to the outdoor table, and occasionally leaves the house with me.

Most of the reviews I've read mention a better fit, and the larger air vent with the Incase model. That's why I was looking at it, and why I was curious what specifically about the case makes you say it's better.

9. TechStooge macrumors member

better craftmenship and much more easier to take off