Is installing Windows 7 worth it?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bungiefan89, Jun 14, 2011.

1. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a very broad question, but some personal anecdotes would be helpful in deciding whether I should invest $200 into just an operating system for my new 2011 27" iMac (with the special 2GB GPU and the upgraded 3.4 i7 processor).

So far as I've gathered, I'd be able to play some of my computer games with slightly higher frame rates and be able to play a wider selection. I would also have a very easy time opening .exe and other such files that work just fine in Windows but require a lot of work to open in OS X.

But is there anything else that comes with Windows 7?

Any input helps. Thanks. :D

Note: I'm a Junior in college if that helps, intent on taking some digital design/media classes while pursuing a career in journalism.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can try it before you invest the $200 and see if it is worth it to you.

You can get the official ISO files, burn to DVD and install without a product key for up to 120 days of use.

I can post links from my Mac later if you want them.

B

3. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, if you could provide me with those links that would be GREAT! Thank you ever so much! :D

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

$200 sounds a bit high, especially if you're a student. You could probably find it for much less. I think I got it for my wife's iMac for around $109 OEM.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Pick your ISO: http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

And run to your heart's content (for 30-120 days): http://www.pcworld.com/article/170492/windows_7_will_run_120_days_for_free.html

I won't go into my full rant, but in general the $200 option is the only 100% legitimate license for Macs. OEM is explicitly not licensed to end users, if you accept the license you must resell the computer you installed the license on to an unrelated third party. Retail upgrades require some pre-existing underlying license.

Full Packaged Product has the least license restrictions and limitations, and you can pretty much do with it what you want.

B

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Full enough. :rolleyes:

7. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once again, I really appreciate the links. All I need now is a little instructions...

Clicked on your first link and I'm now downloading the English version of Windows Home Premium 64-bit (4-5 hours download time with my current internet connection :p ) and from what I understand, I'm supposed to unpackage the contents of the file and... burn them onto a blank CD? Then use the CD to install Windows 7 through boot camp like I would with the retail version? Is it really that simple?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I saved you all the links I usually provide. :p

Don't get me wrong, go ahead and use what you feel comfortable with.

Just don't assume that others treat license agreements as you do and also definitely don't fool yourself into thinking because you paid something for it you are somehow entitled to more than you agreed to.

EDIT:
    Yes. You will need a blank DVD and if you don't know how to burn an ISO with Disk Utility, I suggest you download Burn OS X http://burn-osx.sf.net

B

9. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I'm a student and got my 7 copy for ~$35 when it was released and no, it's not worth it. ;)

I didn't even bother installing it on my new Air.

10. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm perfectly willing to bend the rules a little.

I recently upgraded an old iMac from OS 10.4 to OS 10.6 WITHOUT purchasing the fancy 'full box set' which contained iLife (which I didn't need) and the Snow Leopard install disk like Apple would have liked me to. Because after reading online that the SL disk included in the full box set was exactly the same as the retail version of SL, I simply got SL on its own and saved myself over $100.

And if I could save about $70 with the loss of a few minimal features, I'd be fine with that so long as Steve Balmer doesn't smash down my door at 2 a.m. in a drunken rage.

Nonetheless, I'm still going to try out this free trial you've provided me with, and make sure Windows 7 is really worth any of my money.

JOY! Wow... I can't believe how much I hesitated to make this thread in the first place out of fear I would be ridiculed and have my time wasted. This has been amazingly helpful.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At that rate, though, you should consider Windows 7 Home Retail Upgrade. It has fewer restrictions than OEM (for one it is actually licensed for use by end users) and is far more easily transferred to another computer and is usually available for $90-$100 (often less than OEM).

And, yes, it can easily be installed without an underlying license installed or available.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Ultimately, YOU need to decide what is right for you.

B