Is Intensity Pro card compatible with Cable Boxes?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by treehorn, Aug 22, 2010.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Not trying to ask anything illegal or unethical...

Just wondering if the Intensity Pro card HDMI plays nice (or at all) with, say, a Scientific American 8300 cable box. I know it says that it doesn't capture HDMI copy protected sources...I'm wondering if that means it doesn't capture from cable boxes period or it doesn't capture from some (like the obvious PayPerViews or such).

Basically looking for a better way to back up some recordings and edit segments for web/class presentations than burning them using a DVD recorder (which converts the 16:9 into letterboxed 4:3) and then convert them into something computer ready. For $199, it seems like a nicer option (right now don't have any HD footage coming to me in a way that needs HDMI to enter my 2008 Mac Pro...but always nice to have that option for the future)

2. Magaman macrumors regular

If it doesn't via HDMI it would most likely via component. If no one else answers in a few days I'll let you know. My new Mac Pro comes tomorrow and I'll be dropping my Intensity pro into it.

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Lucky you on the new Mac Pro arriving! And thanks

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Copy protection and cable box are not the same thing. Your cable company does not and cannot protect local digital broadcast content. Except for the music channels, almost all other digital channels on your cable system are protected. I always split my cable signal. Half goes to the RF input on the TV; the other half goes to the cable box which is, in turn, connected to the TV via HDMI. I use the cable box only for things that require it. Anything that the TV can see directly off the RF input is unprotected.

5. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

As 99% of my cable usage is on stations that the TV can't see...doesn't help much :)

I noticed when I had a Sony DVD recorder that certain shows would have problems with it (no such problem on a Panasonic or Toshiba burner) so sounds like that problem would carry over.

Basically want to be able to record things I backed up on the DVR hard drive more efficiently and/or with better quality