Is internet faster when plugged directly into the modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by grosslyclever, Mar 14, 2010.

1. grosslyclever macrumors member

Hello!

My computer is connected to the internet via wifi (airport extreme)

Would the internet be any faster if I were to plug my computer straight into the router?

Thanks a bunch!
    - GC

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, unless you have either a very fast internet connection (7 MB/s up- and download speed) or a very slow WiFi router.

www.speedtest.net an give you some results with the AEBS and the modem.
    But know that they use bits and not bytes, so divide it by 8 to get the bytes.

3. grosslyclever thread starter macrumors member

What is considered a very fast internet speed? How can I find out how fast mine is via wifi or cable?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I gave you a link in my first reply. Use that to determine your internet speed.

A very fast internet speed is 2MB/s and above.

If you have the latest AEBS, or the one before that, you will get network speeds via wireless connection of up to 7MB/s, and I doubt you have a connection that fast unless you live in South Korea or Japan or at a university.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A wired connection to your router will be more reliable since it won't have to thru the air.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But can't it be disregarded when it is an internet connection, as the average internet connection does not touch the maximum speed of most wireless routers using the 802.11n protocol?

I agree though when you shuffle gigabytes of data per hour, a wired connection is much faster and even more reliable.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've seen many crappy routers cause slow downs. That's why it's important to do your homework and purchase a good router.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

didn't say faster.
    there are a lot of factors that affect a wireless signal, if someone warms a cup of coffee in the microwave, or makes a call on a cordless phone, your wired connection won't drop out, your wireless might.

9. easepease macrumors regular

Its funny that a lot of times when i bring my laptop near the router i have no choice but to plug it in, cause it creates a Donut now a circle of reception... Just funny that sometimes i am too close to get service :), that is why my desktops are all plugged in..

But i dont think its faster, just more reliable

10. gfypofs macrumors newbie

I recently moved up to unlimited , from 20 to 30Mbps. I now average about 22.5 Mbps via my router, and TekSavvy is asking me to connect directly to my computer, bypassing my DIR-862L D-Link router, to see if there is any improvement.Would this be save, will there be any configuration adjustments to be made ?