Is Ios 4.1 still unlockable?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Cage, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Cage macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am very new to the Iphone hacking scene and would really appreciate some guidance. My father has come into the US from another country with his iphone 3gs and asked me to unlock it. Its running 4.3.5 and Id like to unlock it unteathered. The only blobs i see saved on TinyUmbrella are 4.3.5, some 5.x, and 4.1

My question is this: would it work for me to downgrade his iphone from 4.3.5 to 4.1, and then unlock it? Is it still possible to jailbreak and unlock this old version or has something changed?

Like i said, i would be really grateful for any assistance. Im a bit in over my head here, and from my research i cant seem to find another solution since i dont have any other saved blobs.

Thanks,

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

no your only option is the iPad baseband, but that comes with complications, and you will only have a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w if your on 4.3.5 if you go to 4.3.3 or lower it will be untethered.

You can only unlock 4.0.2 or earlier. If it has been updated to stock 4.1 or later the baseband will have been updated to a one that can't be unlocked.

Baseband cannot be downgraded

3. Cage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anth,

So - its possible for me to install an ipad baseband in my iphone 3gs? can i install that baseband and then downgrade to 4.3.3 without the blob?

is this about as difficult to do as it would be on an iphone alone? i guess that questions too subjective :)

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

No the 3GS and I4 require blobs. 5.0 will be out soon and they will work on a untethered version for that. as long as you don't shut the phone off or run the battery down your fine. you can respring the phone with out any issues.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

Go down to 4.1 for an untethered jb. 4.1 also runs the best.

Don't put the iPad baseband on the phone whatever you do. You will permanently lose the ability to update to future software versions without a custom ISPW. You will also LOSE YOUR GPS. Don't do it.

Try the Gevey Sim for unlock.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Gevey sim doesn't work on the 3GS. But I do agree TS should fully understand the cost and benefits with installing the IPAD baseband.

7. Cage thread starter macrumors newbie

If i go down to 4.1, but Gevey doesnt work, does anyone know of another method for jailbreaking 4.1 on a 3gs? does it matter what baseband? Im assuming the phone has the most current baseband because it has the most current ios. Would this baseband be a problem for unlocking on 4.1?

Definitely seems for my situation that an ipad baseband is not worth it, but i'd really like to unlock this phone so he can use it here.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You can't downgrade the firmware unless shsh blogbs are saved. Even if you downgrade,the baseband won't be downgraded.

There's no way to unlock unless you use iPad bb. End of story so stop asking if there's any other way. It doesn't matter if you really like to unlock it or not. It won't be unlocked just because you wanted it.

9. labman, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

baseband can not be downgraded on the 3gs or I4 the last unlockable baseband is 05.13.04. anything above that is not. Is the 3GS from another country also? have you tried contacting the carrier to see if they will unlock it. if it's AT&T don't bother asking.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot unlock it at the moment without installing the ipad BB. Think hard before you do cause it comes with plenty of drawbacks.
    Jailbreaking and unlocking are 2 different things.
    And you can never restore to any firmware version you dont have shsh blobs for.