Is iOS 4.3.3 the root of all battery problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jun 18, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I remember when I first got the iPhone 4 it had exceptional battery life. But ever since I upgraded to SW version 4.3.X, the battery life has gone to the gutter. My phone is less than 4 months old, so I know the battery itself could not have degraded to such a big extent corresponding to the drop in charge retention in the short time I have had the phone.

Anybody else feel that the rash of battery life issues that people suddenly seem to be having with the iPhone 4 (which had one of the best battery life among all smart phones to being with) is due to the iOS software and not push notifications, fetch email, location services, multi tasking or some other crap? Because my phone worked fine before I upgraded it and had superb battery life and lasted almost two days without problems. These days I am lucky to make it to the end of the day before losing all charge.

I sure as hell hope iOS 5 will fix this once for all!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I've never had any battery problems from 4.0 to 4.3.3

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Me too. I do wish the phone had a better battery though. Maybe you are using apps that take a lot of battery?

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I havent noticed any change in battery with my iPhone 4 and iOS 4.3.x

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

maybe it's because my iphone is docked 99% of the time i'm near my iMac but i've never noticed any battery problems, have you tried restoring as a new iPhone instead of update?

7. peperoni macrumors member

Maybe something had gone bonkers in the update or something in the old settings cause this? I've seen every time when there's a new update available some people are complaining about worse battery life than before and some other people are cheering that Apple worked it's magic by enhancing the battery life by quite a lot. Maybe the update process is at fault here. Try running the update again with and without backup and see if there's a difference?

8. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

What Saving said above ^^

People always complain about the battery. ALWAYS. Nonetheless, I'm on 4.3.3, have been on 4.3.2, 4.3.1, 4.2.1 etc and never had problems. I think some people just get a bit paranoid about their battery.

I'm jailbroken (or have been) on all these firmwares, and have noticed no battery problems. I think a lot of the trouble may come from restoring from backup after being jailbreak. I make sure to always restore from new (and then transfer any info I needed after backing it up, eg contacts/app save data whatever) and I definitely say this is the best way to avoid any troubles :)

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Do a restore as NEW, then sync your apps/music/videos/etc. separately after that.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Nope. Individual usage patterns/setups is the root of all battery problems.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Amen :cool:

12. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have restored my phone as new 3 times but it did not help. However after doing that I always right right click on the phone on the left hand side and restore again from one of the back ups to get back my settings, contacts, apps etc. Are you saying this is the problem? Where something in my old settings is causing the battery drain?

What other method after setting up my phone as new can I use to get back my contacts, apps, bookmarks etc?

13. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Meh, things happen. My phone on 4.3.3 started out great and recently got dramatically worse, got hot and drained the battery randomly here and there but stopped after a reboot only to come back a day or so later.

So i figure its time and do the restore as new and set everything up again, took an hour or so. Now battery is back to being very impressive.

So i say to anyone with a dramatic battery issue just do the restore AS NEW, take the hour or two and set things up again and it will be back to being great.

No we really don't want to read your complaints on how that shouldn't be necessary and you don't want to spend the time to do it. Wish we had a way to narrow down what it might be in each case but i don't see a way. All i know is restoring AS NEW gets you back to the impressive battery life.

14. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

iOS 4.3.3 lasts me 2-3 days of moderate usage. Beside 4.2 this is the best battery life I've had with the device.

15. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

WOW. What is moderate usage for you?

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This should be a sticky.

17. wxman2003 Suspended

4.3.3 is the root of all problems in this this world. That was proven on Tuesday.

18. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I've done a lot of testing on my iPhone and found several things that drain battery, one of which makes no sense to me but it works.

I use an app called NetStat (paid version to make it easier since ads cause connections) which monitors connections to my phone.

I have push disabled, and find every reboot of my device or sync to iTunes causes various connections to form related to Push services which I do not even want or use, and these keep using data every so often and causes not only data use and battery drain but also UI lag < This UI lag is actually pretty big, since it explains why my 3GS feels really smooth compared to others, some people claim the 3GS is really slow, which is untrue!

I get rid of all my connections by leaving my phone alone after a restart and doing the following after about 5 minutes (this allows all unwanted connections to form) -

1. Sign out of "Store" in settings tab
    2. Open up the Phone app, then kill it in multitasking (this is the one that makes no sense, but works every time)
    3. Turn on restrictions and disable Ping

After doing this NetStat reports "No TCP Connections", my "Usage" stats remain at 0 in standby, no data usage in standby, and my battery is really nice, typically 7-9 hours with 3-4 days standby time.

My UI is also very smooth, like I said I am using a 3GS and opening apps have a nice smooth animation, and bringing up the multitasking tray is instant rather than taking 1-2 seconds before.

19. jap1198 macrumors 6502

:eek: My phone can't even go half a day without a charge, even when it was brand new.

20. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Texting on and off all day, Gmail account set to push through Exchange, Facebook, a few phone calls, some photos, use of the iPod at the gym for 90 minutes or so a day, and since I'm jailbroken I have WeatherIcon updating my weather in the background every 30 minutes.