Is ios 5 beta 2 stable enough for day to day use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MYKOLTON, Jun 25, 2011.

1. MYKOLTON macrumors newbie

MYKOLTON

Hey, I love the new features in ios 5 and i was going to update to ios 5 but i thought it might be a bit buggy but since ios 5 beta 2 came out i was just wondering how stable it is, and if its good for day to day use!

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

If you don't use FaceTime, I suppose it's stable enough ...

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There are folks reporting issues in this forum. Any beta is not recommended for day-to-day use but I assume more people are not having problems than the ones who are.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yes but I can't recommend a non-developer using a beta, there shouldn't be any major issues though.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am likely wrong about this, but I believe it is a restore out to bring it out of Beta too ?? :confused:

Meaning this beta can't be upgraded in iTunes like a release version could.

Either way, I am waiting for release, I rely on my phone too much to be playing with it :eek: .

6. sectime macrumors 6502a

One issue that can cause problems is using Icloud to backup and store. Read the release notes first!!! Might save you a nasty surprise.

7. budman1961 macrumors regular

Better than the last, if it is your mission critical device, none of these beta releases are for you...

Beta's are for devs, thats why they call the beta....

Andy

8. bukmba macrumors newbie

In my optinion, beta 1 was slightly better than beta 2.
    In beta 1 I had some apps not working, they do work now in beta 2 but now even more, though different apps, are not working or frequently crashing. I didn't test Facetime on beta 1 but it is definitly not working on beta 2 which is sort of deal breaker.
    Restoring from iCloud is working but doesn't restore properly if you use multipe iTunes accounts for different countries (which I do as I live in Thailand and the Thai iTunes store e.g. doesn't offer music and videos).

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It's a bit of an oxymoron to have a stable beta :D. In terms of an overall os, it's very stable. At least there are no major kernel panics on the betas. I think beta 2 is better than beta 1 since more things are now functional. The fact that FaceTime doesn't work on iPhone 4 on beta 2 is actually acceptable for me. FaceTime needs a major rework and I've been using Skype to replace it instead since it just works.

We already know that if you're not a developer, you shouldn't be using iOS5 betas on any primary device. I recommend that even non-developers purchase an extra iPhone 4 or iPad 2 to test :cool:.

10. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

If you don't use FaceTime then yes it is easily stable enough. Dev or not.

11. gavinfabl macrumors regular

gavinfabl

Beta 2 is better than Beta 1 but FaceTime has been disabled until next beta. However, many apps need updating to take full use of the new ios 5 so your favourite apps may not function as you might expect. I have no issues myself.

It is vital to follow the correct instructions and order to update this beta. If you don't the issues people are facing will occur.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

if you rely heavily on certain apps (Dropbox for example, which, for me, crashes upon trying to upload anything or trying to play an MP3 located on my dropbox), then no

if you don't necessarily need any particular app, then yes.

i couldn't live without the notification center anymore, really

13. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

It is pretty much impossible to go back once you've used the notification center for even a few days.

14. leepetersonuk macrumors member

its been ok for me, been using it this weekend - like some have said cant go back to old notifications :)

15. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I updated both my iPhone 4 and original iPad to iOS 5 Beta 2 and so far there have been no problems. I haven't had apps crash, kernel panics or anything yet. Just like with the other betas, you can always DFU mode and restore back to pre-beta. I will use it for a bit longer, send some dev feedback and switch back to iOS 4.

Some people have had problems but like I said, can always boot DFU mode and restore back to iOS 4.