Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I am just wondering if it is worth the upgrade as we are getting close to the launch day of iOS 6. The things I am afraid of is will it make my iPod 4g slower? And also will it use up more ram and cause apps to crash more often? If these things are true; I don't think I will be upgrading as none of the features really impress me like iOS 5 did. I don't have a developer account so I am needing answers to these questions please before I think about upgrading. Thanks.

jnmiah

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
It is very fast and smooth. Better than iOS 5. Also the battery life is amazing

HarryLarry

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I am just wondering if it is worth the upgrade as we are getting close to the launch day of iOS 6. The things I am afraid of is will it make my iPod 4g slower? And also will it use up more ram and cause apps to crash more often? If these things are true; I don't think I will be upgrading as none of the features really impress me like iOS 5 did. I don't have a developer account so I am needing answers to these questions please before I think about upgrading. Thanks.

I think that iOS 6 will make your iPod Touch slower. iOS 6 was not designed for the iPod Touch 4g, so it will not run as smoothly as the 5g. However, the performance is not that bad compared to running iOS 5. I just wouldn't upgrade past iOS 6 because with all of my i devices, the 2nd upgrade always makes the device run very slowly.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Not quite true...

I think that iOS 6 will make your iPod Touch slower. iOS 6 was not designed for the iPod Touch 4g, so it will not run as smoothly as the 5G.

iOS 6 was designed for the iPod touch 4th gen, otherwise Apple would not be releasing it as an update for that model. Apple has tailored the code and functionality of iOS 6 to the ability of the device, by excluding some features and possibly by including device-specific code. No it won't run as quickly as on the 5G, but that has nothing to do with not being designed to run on the iPod touch 4G. It will run faster on the iPhone 5 than on the iPod touch 5G - that is purely due to hardware specs, the same reason it will run faster on the iPt 5G than the 4G.

If you are familar with writing software, updating a software platform to include new features also allows the developers to revisit existing code and functionality and rewrite in order to improve performance. I have no doubt that that is what will have happened in this case. It does not automatically follow that a new release of iOS will run more slowly than the previous release. I would expect there to be performance improvements in some areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.