Is IOS 8.1.1 an improvement on the Touch 5 ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Plutonius, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

IOS 8.1.1 was released today and it supposedly improves performance in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. For people who have it installed on their Touch 5, does it improve anything ?

2. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Iphone 4s, Ipad 2, and Ipod touch 5 all have the A5 chip

But only Iphone 4s and Ipad 2 were mentioned in the update performances. Apple is hinting something?

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Perhaps they forgot the iPod Touch exists. Maybe that's the reason they did not update it since 2012. They totally forgot about it. :D

4. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I have yet to have a Safari keyboard freeze on my iPhone 6 and my iPad 3 is performing slightly better, but not much.

5. leppermessiah, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

leppermessiah macrumors newbie

The sense I've gotten (after combing through other threads) is that it is a marginal/or decent performance improvement over 8.1 on products using the A5 chip (iPad 2, iPad mini 1, iPhone 4S, and iPod Touch 5) and that it runs well overall... although I haven't heard anyone speak specifically about the iPod Touch yet. No one has claimed that it's as snappy as 7.1.2 was.

I personally don't know since I'm still running 7.1.2 on my iPod, but would love to hear some experiences shared.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

7.1.2 was smoother, snappier, and less of a RAM hog certainly, so I had far fewer app crashes due to lack of RAM.

That being said, the latest update hasn't made anything worse as far as I can tell, and 3rd party keyboards now seem to work more or less they way they should - which was a huge issue for me before. I can finally just stay on Swype now. Before this latest iOS8 update Swype was unusable.

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

Unless you want to have a jail broken device, this is a basic no-brainer update. For me Safari is smoother and I got some memory back.

8. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

A little better, but it still lags a lot more than 7 did.

9. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

I definitely have noticed an improvement on my iPod touch. Animations don't seem to lag nearly as much as they used to. A lot of the first party apps and third-party apps seem to start quicker than on iOS 8.1. There seems to be much less lag overall.

10. puma1552 macrumors 603

If my touch 5G came with 7.1.2, I take it I should never, ever upgrade the software?

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Your decision to make. I finally decided to load 8.1.1 (from 7.1.2) on my Touch 5. I find start times to be longer but it seems very stable and no stuttering.

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Do not want any form of iOS 8 on either of my devices.

So I've deleted the download from my Touch as well as my iPad 2.

13. puma1552 macrumors 603

Does this keep the little red notification off your settings app?

14. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    No, but I just ignore it. Have the red notification for certain apps I refuse to update. Not a big deal and it adds a bit of color to my home screen. :)

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Apple really needs to let us have the option of making the red notification go away after first refusal of update, except for maybe critical security updates.