iPad Is iPad 2 to iPad Air worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by michael31986, Jan 20, 2014.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

My dad wants an iPad I'm planing on giving him my iPad 2. Is the iPad air going to be a big difference for me. Just wondering dj it's worth it. Also anyone know how the data plans work can I turn it in whenever I need it and data will be prorated.

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

It is a huge improvement but I would consider waiting and getting the ipad 6---but that is a long time to go without an ipad so go for the AIR.
    The air has that the 2. Doesn't:
    Lightning cable
    Retina display
    Slim
    Better camera
    Smaller bezel
    Newer processor
    MIMO wireless tech (faster wifi signals)
    Siri
    Light weight
    It will last a lot longer and should be able to update for at least 3 more years

But remember the next ipad will have a newer processor touch ID and more...but probably not too much more than the ipad air.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

The next update will probably me more on lines of a like an iPhone s update. Not to interested in touch id.

4. A.R.S macrumors newbie

Yes, I think an iPad Air is a nice upgrade from an iPad 2. I never had an iPad 2 but I have an iPad Air and I love it :apple:

It has a high-resolution display (Retina) and a 4G/LTE data connection.

It also would be faster. And light-weight and compact shape.

Personally I cannot tell you anything about data plans because I don't live in USA. I live in Russia where we have different cellular carriers. If you want to know about available data plans, I suggest contacting the wireless carrier companies or looking up on their web-sites ;)

5. macidiot macrumors 6502a

I just switched to an iPad Air from a 2.

The big difference to me is that its smaller and much lighter. Things like the resolution and performance are there, but seems less dramatic than the weight and size change.

You notice the retina display. But its one of those things where you just get used to it and it becomes normal. But you really notice how grainy things are if you switch back to a non-retina display.

Performance is harder to judge. Its there, but it doesn't seem radically faster, even though it is vs a 2. Mostly there aren't any hiccups with ios 7, which the 2 seems to have.

After using the Air for a week or so, all I can think of is that its kind of small, and I would buy a larger screen iPad in a heartbeat.

6. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

7. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I think I'm going to get the air white 16gb with data. I just wonder do I have to sign up with a data plan right away.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It will be an improvement in almost all aspects, no doubt. But whether you will value those improvements enough to put down the moolah can only be answered by you. :)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. Dataplan is optional. The T-Mobile one will even give you free data.

10. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Is iPad 2 to iPad air worth it?

Huge difference! Particularly in weight, snappiness and display. So glad I did the upgrade.

11. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i did it! i got the white 16gb wifi and data air. Im wondering how the data plans work! if i can sign up and turn it off whenever i want.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I loved my iPad 2 and my daughter has been using since I got my Air. The Air is quite a considerable upgrade. Lighter, faster, better screen, slicker overal operation, and slightly better wifi performance.

I'm so glad I skipped the third and fourth gen units and waited for the Air. It's a perfect upgrade from the 2, IMO.

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

How does data work. I bought the AT&T one. Does it go automatic or I have it sign up.

14. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That is probably what I expect but I like getting stuff right when it comes out!

----------

Congrats on your new ipad!

15. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

U know that if you can't live with 16GB on Ipad 2 then retina display apps on Ipad air will be bigger size so be ready to be outta space.

Dont know why Apple still make 16gb as base price. They could easily start with 32 GB at 499 but no..... have to be stingy as usual.

Even most android tablets now are 16gb obsolete. Apps are as big as console games now. IB already cost you 2 gb and that driving game from Gameloft alone is over a gb.

16. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I wasn't anywhere near full on my iPad 2. I'm find with 16gb

17. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

A little too much hyperbole eh ? Console games are easily 12GB+ (this too is relatively on the smaller size). Many people are fine with 16GB devices, different people have different use cases. I myself have 10GB free on my 16GB iPhone.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's quite a bit faster, smaller, lighter, and longer battery life. Oh it also has a Retina display.

The Xbox One/PS4 games are like 40GB-50GB now :eek:

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I went from iPad 2 to iPad Air. There is a massive difference, especially in the screen. It is lighter, but I notice the smaller bezels more.

All in all, a great upgrade.

20. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Some games on PS3 are 40GB also.
    ex : Uncharted 3

Anyway, in my opinion 16GB is small for a tablet but ok-ish for a phone.

21. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Yes, for the screen resolution and weight factor it's definitely worth it.

22. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes but I put no music or heavy duty games on the iPad so it's fine.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It will be a major upgrade, but it is shocking how well the ipad 2 still handles IOS 7

24. cooa99 macrumors regular

i had the 64gb iPad 2 which I sold to get the iPad air 128gb.

I use my iPad mainly for web surfing, FaceTime, Plex and remote desktop to my home servers via splashtop & team viewer.

Personally it was a waste and I should have kept hold of my money. I bought the Air because I thought that the so called retina display will give me a good real estate screen for when I connect to my home servers via RDP apps. WRONG!. The ipad2 & Air looked exactly the same …..

Here are my reasons you will be underwhelmed after a couple of weeks:-

weight/bezel - Air is smaller & lighter but that becomes immaterial once you put it in a case. Lets face it iPad2 was barely heavy for day to day use.
    Retina display - I could not see any difference when watching films, youtube.... Use your usage habits to determine if you will benefit from retina.. Sure the screen icons on retina iPad look better, but I did not buy it just to stare at icons!
    MIMO wireless tech - IF you don't have wifi range issues with the iPad2 then you certainly won't benefit from this in any way
    Faster Processor - I don't play games so could not see a difference in normal usage
    Siri - This is a gimmick i don't use
    Better camera For me this is literally the best feature
    128GB - Next best advantage if you are a space junkie that would rather pack the iPad with content rather than use iCloud

I would say you are better of playing with both side by side for a prolonged period before deciding on the purchase … or just wait 8 months for the next Air