iPad Is iPad 2 to iPad Air worth it?

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
My dad wants an iPad I'm planing on giving him my iPad 2. Is the iPad air going to be a big difference for me. Just wondering dj it's worth it. Also anyone know how the data plans work can I turn it in whenever I need it and data will be prorated.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
It is a huge improvement but I would consider waiting and getting the ipad 6---but that is a long time to go without an ipad so go for the AIR.
The air has that the 2. Doesn't:
Lightning cable
Retina display
Slim
Better camera
Smaller bezel
Newer processor
MIMO wireless tech (faster wifi signals)
Siri
Light weight
It will last a lot longer and should be able to update for at least 3 more years

But remember the next ipad will have a newer processor touch ID and more...but probably not too much more than the ipad air.

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It is a huge improvement but I would consider waiting and getting the ipad 6---but that is a long time to go without an ipad so go for the AIR.
The air has that the 2. Doesn't:
Lightning cable
Retina display
Slim
Better camera
Smaller bezel
Newer processor
MIMO wireless tech (faster wifi signals)
Siri
Light weight
It will last a lot longer and should be able to update for at least 3 more years

But remember the next ipad will have a newer processor touch ID and more...but probably not too much more than the ipad air.
The next update will probably me more on lines of a like an iPhone s update. Not to interested in touch id.

A.R.S

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Russia, Krasnodar
Yes, I think an iPad Air is a nice upgrade from an iPad 2. I never had an iPad 2 but I have an iPad Air and I love it :apple:

It has a high-resolution display (Retina) and a 4G/LTE data connection.

It also would be faster. And light-weight and compact shape.

Personally I cannot tell you anything about data plans because I don't live in USA. I live in Russia where we have different cellular carriers. If you want to know about available data plans, I suggest contacting the wireless carrier companies or looking up on their web-sites ;)

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
My dad wants an iPad I'm planing on giving him my iPad 2. Is the iPad air going to be a big difference for me. Just wondering dj it's worth it. Also anyone know how the data plans work can I turn it in whenever I need it and data will be prorated.
I just switched to an iPad Air from a 2.

The big difference to me is that its smaller and much lighter. Things like the resolution and performance are there, but seems less dramatic than the weight and size change.

You notice the retina display. But its one of those things where you just get used to it and it becomes normal. But you really notice how grainy things are if you switch back to a non-retina display.

Performance is harder to judge. Its there, but it doesn't seem radically faster, even though it is vs a 2. Mostly there aren't any hiccups with ios 7, which the 2 seems to have.

After using the Air for a week or so, all I can think of is that its kind of small, and I would buy a larger screen iPad in a heartbeat.

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I think I'm going to get the air white 16gb with data. I just wonder do I have to sign up with a data plan right away.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
It will be an improvement in almost all aspects, no doubt. But whether you will value those improvements enough to put down the moolah can only be answered by you. :)

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i did it! i got the white 16gb wifi and data air. Im wondering how the data plans work! if i can sign up and turn it off whenever i want.

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I loved my iPad 2 and my daughter has been using since I got my Air. The Air is quite a considerable upgrade. Lighter, faster, better screen, slicker overal operation, and slightly better wifi performance.

I'm so glad I skipped the third and fourth gen units and waited for the Air. It's a perfect upgrade from the 2, IMO.

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
How does data work. I bought the AT&T one. Does it go automatic or I have it sign up.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
The next update will probably me more on lines of a like an iPhone s update. Not to interested in touch id.
That is probably what I expect but I like getting stuff right when it comes out!

----------

i did it! i got the white 16gb wifi and data air. Im wondering how the data plans work! if i can sign up and turn it off whenever i want.
Congrats on your new ipad!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
U know that if you can't live with 16GB on Ipad 2 then retina display apps on Ipad air will be bigger size so be ready to be outta space.

Dont know why Apple still make 16gb as base price. They could easily start with 32 GB at 499 but no..... have to be stingy as usual.

Even most android tablets now are 16gb obsolete. Apps are as big as console games now. IB already cost you 2 gb and that driving game from Gameloft alone is over a gb.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
U know that if you can't live with 16GB on Ipad 2 then retina display apps on Ipad air will be bigger size so be ready to be outta space.

Dont know why Apple still make 16gb as base price. They could easily start with 32 GB at 499 but no..... have to be stingy as usual.

Even most android tablets now are 16gb obsolete. Apps are as big as console games now. IB already cost you 2 gb and that driving game from Gameloft alone is over a gb.
A little too much hyperbole eh ? Console games are easily 12GB+ (this too is relatively on the smaller size). Many people are fine with 16GB devices, different people have different use cases. I myself have 10GB free on my 16GB iPhone.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's quite a bit faster, smaller, lighter, and longer battery life. Oh it also has a Retina display.

A little too much hyperbole eh ? Console games are easily 12GB+ (this too is relatively on the smaller size). Many people are fine with 16GB devices, different people have different use cases. I myself have 10GB free on my 16GB iPhone.
The Xbox One/PS4 games are like 40GB-50GB now :eek:

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I went from iPad 2 to iPad Air. There is a massive difference, especially in the screen. It is lighter, but I notice the smaller bezels more.

All in all, a great upgrade.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
i had the 64gb iPad 2 which I sold to get the iPad air 128gb.

I use my iPad mainly for web surfing, FaceTime, Plex and remote desktop to my home servers via splashtop & team viewer.

Personally it was a waste and I should have kept hold of my money. I bought the Air because I thought that the so called retina display will give me a good real estate screen for when I connect to my home servers via RDP apps. WRONG!. The ipad2 & Air looked exactly the same …..

Here are my reasons you will be underwhelmed after a couple of weeks:-

weight/bezel - Air is smaller & lighter but that becomes immaterial once you put it in a case. Lets face it iPad2 was barely heavy for day to day use.
Retina display - I could not see any difference when watching films, youtube.... Use your usage habits to determine if you will benefit from retina.. Sure the screen icons on retina iPad look better, but I did not buy it just to stare at icons!
MIMO wireless tech - IF you don't have wifi range issues with the iPad2 then you certainly won't benefit from this in any way
Faster Processor - I don't play games so could not see a difference in normal usage
Siri - This is a gimmick i don't use
Better camera For me this is literally the best feature
128GB - Next best advantage if you are a space junkie that would rather pack the iPad with content rather than use iCloud

I would say you are better of playing with both side by side for a prolonged period before deciding on the purchase … or just wait 8 months for the next Air