Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hello!

iPad users and/or comic fans: what do you think about using the iPad Air for reading comics? Is its screen big enough for reading or is it impossible to do it without zooming?

Thank you.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hello!

iPad users and/or comic fans: what do you think about using the iPad Air for reading comics? Is its screen big enough for reading or is it impossible to do it without zooming?

Thank you.
I use my iPad 4 to read comics, scanned vintage magazines and catalogs... works perfectly without zooming. The Air should be even better.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I read manga all the time on mine (Air) without problems/zooming.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For me, definitely yes. Heck, I usually read in 2-page spread landscape on the 9.7" iPads and even then I don't zoom.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
Definitely. I never need to zoom ever on my air. To be fair, I never needed to zoom on the mini I used to own either, so my eyes are probably different than yours.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I used to read on the mini with no zoom. I have the Air now and I never have an issue. Once in a great while you might have to zoom on a speech bubble that has a lot, but that's about it. The ipad Air is PERFECT for comics.

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
Thank you everybody.

IPad screen ratio is worse than 16:10 android tabs for comics. Meaning more wasted space and black bars, and smaller images and words.

The ratio used by surface pro 3 is almost identical to that used in comics and the 12" screen makes it a pleasure to read. You'll find the $800 version competitively priced with a 64gb iPad. Meaning you pay more but get more.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
IPad screen ratio is worse than 16:10 android tabs for comics. Meaning more wasted space and black bars, and smaller images and words.

The ratio used by surface pro 3 is almost identical to that used in comics and the 12" screen makes it a pleasure to read. You'll find the $800 version competitively priced with a 64gb iPad. Meaning you pay more but get more.

True enough, but I'd keep in mind that the SP3 is a lot heavier than an iPad.

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
True enough, but I'd keep in mind that the SP3 is a lot heavier than an iPad.

Correct depends on the user. I find in a chair I rest tabs on my lap and in bed I lock it in portrait and rest it on the bed and read it laying down sideways. I did that with my iPad too.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

I paid $440 in Europe for my Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 12.2 WiFi 32GB

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For American comics read in portrait, sometimes. Just tried the DC 52 Sampler on the iPad Air and an Asus T100 and while the cover almost filled the entire display on the T100, the actual comic pages were roughly the same size on both - pillarboxed on the iPad, letterboxed on the T100.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014

Surface Pro 3 is not an option because of its weight and the use I want to give the tablet.

I was conscious of what you say about aspect ratio. However, by the original post I wanted to know if iPad screen is too bad and reading without zooming is impossible (though it would be better an Android 16:10 tablet).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

That is highly dependent on what you are reading. I have found the iPad ratio near perfect for reading comics, vintage magazines and catalogs. I've tried 16:10 and it doesn't work well... In portrait mode the next page peeks out on the bottom of the screen (depending on software used), in landscape too much pillarboxing.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I don't have to zoom to read comic/manga page conveniently on my iPad 2. Actually reading manga in my iPad Mini is also similarly convenient. But you have to put your tablet a lil bit closer to your eyes with Mini. Just a tiny bit though.

Porsupah

macrumors regular
Where do you find the comics at!?

There's a ready supply from a variety of vendors these days. For more "mainstream" stuff, there's Comics Plus, iBooks, and ComiXology. For more unusual works, Sequential's got a great selection, especially graphic novels, and then there's Clickwheel for 2000AD, which sells issues in plain CBZ/PDF form, where all the others are locked down. (Though ComiXology did just start offering publishers the option of CBZ/PDF as well. Only a few publishers so far, hopefully to be joined by many more)

And then some artists sell their own compilations, like Chris Baldwin's "Spacetrawler" and Shaenon Garrity & Jeffrey Wells' "Skin Horse", again as plain PDFs, over on Gumroad.

smoothbit

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2014

It depends on your eyesight. Mine is so bad that both the 7.9" iPad mini (4.7 x 6.3") and 9.7" iPad Air (5.8 x 7.8") are too small unless I read in landscape, I'm considering a 13.3" Android tablet (7.1 x 11.3") instead.

It has a lower resolution than the iPad (800 x 1280 vs. 1536 x 2048) but seeing as badly as I do, physically larger trumps higher density unfortunately.

Or course a 12.9" iPad Maxi (7.7 x 10.3") with a resolution of 2304 x 3072 would be even better, but I don't think that's coming any time soon.

----------

Also, for reference, American comic book pages are usually around 6.6 x 10.25". So, in portrait orientation:

• iPad mini - limiting edge is 6.3" height, so page displayed at ~62% original size
  • iPad Air - limiting edge is 7.8" height, so page displayed at ~76% original size
  • 13.3" Android tablet - limiting edge is 7.1" width, so page displayed at ~106% original size

Manga often have more square aspect ratios, but those percentages give an idea of the difference between devices.

Last edited:

Lachhh

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Mainland Europe
@ Thread starter: I know enough people who read comics perfectly well without zooming on the Air, provided your eyesight is decent, you should have no problems.

seeing as badly as I do, physically larger trumps higher density unfortunately.

This. I'm having that problem with my retina MBP too. The screen's gorgeous, but I'm finding I have to zoom every single thing into oblivion (I've zoomed on HD screens too, but nothing like this).

I'd also forgotten how hard glossy screens are on my eyes vs. the matte one I've come from. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.