Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
I use my iPad Pro to write/read work emails at home and unfortunately I am forced to use Outlook. I went back to web based Outlook due to iPad Outlook HUGE limitations, it does not even have some basic formatting, html signatures, etc etc.

Is this a clear example of Non Pro Apps for iPad? If an ipad is supposed to be used at work environment (even more the “Pro” models) and even so popular apps like Outlook that its vastly used in work environment are NOT Pro apps. Will this change? Will Apple push developers to develop real “Pro” apps (not “big” iPhone versions) for the new iPAD OS?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I use my iPad Pro to write/read work emails at home and unfortunately I am forced to use Outlook. I went back to web based Outlook due to iPad Outlook HUGE limitations, it does not even have some basic formatting, html signatures, etc etc.

Is this a clear example of Non Pro Apps for iPad? If an ipad is supposed to be used at work environment (even more the “Pro” models) and even so popular apps like Outlook that its vastly used in work environment are NOT Pro apps. Will this change? Will Apple push developers to develop real “Pro” apps (not “big” iPhone versions) for the new iPAD OS?
It's not just Outlook but the entire Office Suite for iPad. On my mobile devices, particularly Android and Chromebooks, I use the web-based version of MS Office. It is far more capable.

Reactions: petvas

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
It's not just Outlook but the entire Office Suite for iPad. On my mobile devices, particularly Android and Chromebooks, I use the web-based version of MS Office. It is far more capable.
I’m looking forward to trying out Office365 web apps on iPadOS when it comes out in the Fall with the new and more capable Safari. If they mention Google Docs, I hope Office365 also works.

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
Yep. Web apps is an option... but it’s a shame that we must go web instead of using native optimized Pro apps

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Yep. Web apps is an option... but it’s a shame that we must go web instead of using native optimized Pro apps
That’s down to Microsoft to sort. They could enable many more features but choose not to.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That’s down to Microsoft to sort. They could enable many more features but choose not to.
I'm not entirely convinced of that. I suspect that Apple's restrictions with regard to what iOS apps are allowed to do factor heavily into what the iOS version of Office can do.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Damn it Microsoft!

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017

Apple can call the iPad pro "PRO" all it wants, but if there is not enough incentive for companies/developers to create full featured apps, they won't. I suspect a lot of iPad apps are just there so companies have some presence in the plattform.

There needs to be a market to justify the costs of developing/porting full applications into any plattform. My guess is there isn't a big enough market of ipad pro users to justify the investment, most of these users already use a computer that has access to these tools, and don't need another one/don't want to pay extra for yet another license. When it comes to productivity, the vast majority of people still use a regular computer to accomplish their tasks in all industries, so it makes sense for companies to invest most of their resources in non-iPad computers.

My 2(c)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.