Is iPhone 3G Really a 3.5G Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kevhui, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

I heard it is actually a 3.5G phone but is it true? What is the maximum data speed it can support?

Thanks.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Whether or not it is 3.5G or 3G doesn't really matter. The iPhone 3G actually stands for iPhone third generation which is untrue seeing that this is the second generation iPhone. 3G actually stands for third generation in the telecommunications industry. The iPhone 3G is actually a phone running HSDPA (high speed downlink packet access) and HSUPA (high speed uplink packet access) which are standards of the HSPA (high speed packet access) protocol. There is also HSPA+ which I believe is still in the experimental stages at AT&T. There is too much information about these protocols to list here so you can learn more about them here, here, here, or here.

David

3. svndmvn Guest

7.2Mbps if I'm not mistaking.

4. Zea74 macrumors newbie

Yes. The current, second generation iPhone (the iPhone 3G) could actually be called iPhone 3.5G because the protocol that it supports (HSDPA) is seen as an evolution of standard UMTS (=3G).

And for the speeds possible with HSDPA, the links above will be useful :)

5. iliramove macrumors newbie

6. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Not sure what the max for iPhone is. Haven't seen anyone who tried their iPhone with a carrier that supports 7.2 Mbit and more.

7. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for your information! Mmm Want to upgrade to iPhone 3G.