Is iPhone 4s bought from apple.com online store locked ones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majrul, Oct 31, 2011.

1. majrul macrumors newbie

Hi,

Are the iPhone 4s bought online from Apple Online Store locked to AT&T or is there any possibility of them being unlocked similar to what people have experienced at Apple Retail outlets?

-Majrul

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Only locked. You can't buy the non-contract phones on the web site until "sometime" next month.

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

When buying an iPhone 4S from Apple's online store, you currently have to select a carrier (AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint). The unlocked iPhones will be coming out next month, I believe.

EDIT: oops, beat me to it, seanfranklin.

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

There is a thread about few people buying off contract AT&T phones directly from apple that have come unlocked... I think the op is asking if we buy the AT&T version on contract does it come unlocked like the off contract AT&T phones.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If that's what you're trying to ask, OP, all subsidized phones (website or in store) are locked - and currently you can only buy unsubsidized in store. Sometime next month unlock, unsubsidized phones will be available on the website but not yet.

6. LouisLivesLife macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

Depends on where you live really!

Over here in Belgium the only option you have online is to buy an unlocked phone, they are already available. In the US I believe only locked phones are available atm.

You will notice a significant difference in the pricing, the phones that cost between 600-800 euros , pounds or dollars will normally be unlocked.

7. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

It does depend where you live however I assumed the OP was in the US as they mentioned the possibility of the phone being locked to AT&T.