Is iPhone 5s still worth buying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShunSeb47, May 4, 2014.

1. ShunSeb47 macrumors newbie

Hi friends, I've been a long time android user since 2.1, now I have finally decided to venture into iOS world due to the longevity and fluidity of the device as High end phones are very expensive these days and I'd like my next phone to survive for atleast 3-4 years till my college ends. I've been regularly reading about the iPhone 6 that will be launched with the 4.7inch display, though I'm not too keen on buying an iDevice with a larger display merely due to the fact that I find soo many icons staring at me horrifying!Would there be any other advantage of a bigger screen apart from web browsing as the degree of customisation iOS offers for the homescreen is not as high as that offered by the android, and I don't watch any movies on my phone. My main concern is, will apple provide 3-4 years of support for the 4 inch iPhone 5s?

Also how is the battery life, I wear my fitbit throughout the day an would like it to sync data with my phone, does keeping bluetooth on put a huge impact on the battery life?
    I am currently using a Galaxy S2 which is 3 years old and its been testing my patience due to a very laggy interface, so I might pull the trigger by 19th MAY if its not worth it to wait for the 4.7 inch iPhone 6.

I am in no way trying to start an iOS vs Android flame war over here as I know the ins and outs of both the operating systems and I choose iOS for its Fluidity and Longevity for my next mobile device.

Thank You :)

2. I7guy macrumors G5

The 5s should easily last five years. Battery life on my 5s is acceptable. The more stuff you have going on like location and background refresh the worse battery life is. Ymmv is always the case when talking about battery life.

As far as the fitbit, I keep Bluetooth on almost all of the time. There is virtually no penalty for doing do. However I setup the fitbit app not to sync constantly. I.e. Only sync when I start the app.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The iPhone 5s will easily last another 3-4 years. Think about it like this...

It uses 64-bit architecture and to this point that has yet to be utilized to the fullest extent. Come ios 8 it may be, but right now it's not. So technically the iPhone 5s' first year of life hasn't been used to the fullest. So with iOS 8 then ios 9 I'm sure the A7 will run wonderfully.

The iPhone 5s is the most "future proofed" phone on the market

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The 5S is most definitely worth buying. I picked one up mid-April for my parents, and they love it. I still have my 4S. If I don't like the 6, I'm getting a gold 32GB 5S or even a White 32GB 5C for that matter.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's worth buying, and based off of the rumours if you want a 4" screen it will be the newest iPhone that you can get with that anytime soon.

6. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I'm really curious about this because it seems like the iPhone 6 will be big. I have average sized girly hands and I'm not sure I'd like a bigger phone. On my current iPhone, some of the buttons can be hard to reach with one hand. I can't even imagine trying to reach them on a bigger phone. That's one reason I was never attracted to those big Samsung phones.

7. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I switched back in October after being with android since 2.1. Apple ends up being much cheaper in the long run because of constant updates available day 1. Lots of annoyances on this side of the fence too, but on balance android has gone to hell while iOS is (usually) a little better with each version and MUCH smoother.