is iPhone 7 USB 3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deany, Sep 7, 2016.

1. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I certainly hope they haven't ommited this important feature -(as they did in the iPad Pro 9.7").

With a 256GB version please tell me it is USB 3?

(still waiting to June '17 to upgrade though).

2. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

I doubt it. They didn't mention anything in the keynote.

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

4. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

With 256GB quick transfer of music, photos, esp. videos etc

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

Man, you've been around long enough to know that USB external storage options ain't ever coming to iDevices.

6. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

If its USB 2 and the 256GB will be a pound under SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS it will be a disgrace frankly.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    Hi
    For the transfer of photos music and videos in iTunes.
    Not sure what else folks would buy the 256GB for.

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

sorry, you meant is the Lightening to USB connector USB-3 - never heard.

NO mention of USB-3 in the tech specs

8. deany, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Of course sorry I'm getting mixed up. The USB 2 or 3 has no effect on ligtning, the speed transfer will be the same thanks for correcting me.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I found what I was referring to (eventually!).

"The 12.9-inch variant also has the distinction of being the only iOS device from Apple to feature a high-speed USB 3 Lightning port. The 9.7-inch model features the same standard USB 2-speed Lightning port as all other devices."

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...vs-129-ipad-pro-which-choice-is-right-for-you

But exclusively on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, users will gain access to higher transfer speeds when syncing with USB 3 computers, as well (as faster charging with Apple's 29-watt USB-C wall adapter.)

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ransfers-are-exclusive-to-apples-129-ipad-pro

9. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

Err.. makes a MASSIVE difference USB 2 or 3 on the connector/adapters.

I import RAW files to my IPP using the USB connector (or SD reader) I connect the USB connector to a multi card reader, and the other end to a power supply. The files import blazingly fast this way. MUCH faster than USB2.

The only reason I'd go for 256Gb is to have the iPhone be a portable backup in the field for my files. Now that Lightroom Mobile natively supports loads of RAW files it's pretty seamless when syncing back to my desktop. It works REALLY REALLY well and I can sit and rate/cull/edit on my IPP and I wanted too do this on my phone too.

IIRC iOS10 has more of an open structure for handling RAW files too.

So yes.. for importing of RAW files the USB 3 on the IPP 13 inch is a huge boon.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Did they mention it with the iPad Pro? Because with the iPad Pro 12.9 its USB3 speed over lightning, but the 9.7 is still USB2.

That makes a big difference when transferring photos using the Lightning Camera Kit or the Lightning SD reader.

11. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

Correct - the bigger IPP is USB3.

It was never mentioned in the launch - discovered later by the teardown brigade.. will be too late to find out before we pre-order!

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Its a shame if it isn't USB 3 but it isn't a deal breaker for me because if I transfer RAW then its to my iPad or MacBook.

But what I'd really like Apple to FINALLY do is ALLOW NFC FOR PHOTO TRANSFER! I hate that I have a camera that does NFC but my NFC iPhone has it locked down to only being useful as "McDonalds Pay".

13. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

Don't agree - if you're messing with NFC then you're not using pro cameras. Have you tried pulling RAW's into Camera Roll THEN Lightroom Mobile. It's very very good and sends the RAW's to your desktop wirelessly.

14. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

Good point.

15. deany, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

deany

yes I updated my post as I'm no expert but realise its a game change for a 256GB - I am OP!!- please read my updated post earlier written 10 mins after orginal there are links as well for your perusal.
    thanks
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    yes a very good point that I made in post numero uno.
    cheers

16. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

I was told by a Luddite, that being a Luddite is not about a fear and or avoidance of technology, but its about the fear and avoidance of being forced to live or do things a certain way based on technology, usually something that changes our quality of life for the worse. So being forced to Transfer 120gb of Movies or Photos to my iPhone via USB2, from a $800 phone, makes me wanna be a Luddite.

17. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

Except that you said nothing about the 12.9" iPad Pro like the poster I replied to..

18. deany, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

deany

Hi
    If you read the entire thread I mentioned 12.9"
    No need to apologise BTW I know its not the 'done thing' nowadays.

"The 12.9-inch variant also has the distinction of being the only iOS device from Apple to feature a high-speed USB 3 Lightning port. The 9.7-inch model features the same standard USB 2-speed Lightning port as all other devices."

19. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I'm thinking we may need to wait for the teardowns to see if there is a usb3 chip in there..

20. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I have 12.9" 128 GB iPad Pro, 128 GB iPhone 6s, and new upcoming 256 GB iPhone 7.
    Backing up 100 GB+ data from iOS to my Macbook Pro is pretty slow with USB 2. It would be great with USB 3 in the iPhone 7.

Nobody knows, I guess we'll find out this Friday.

21. Bryonator1 macrumors newbie

No iPhone or iPad has ever had a USB port. The iPhone 7 is no different. It has a lightning port which is faster than USB 3. So I'm not sure why you think you need a USB 3 port.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You have completely misread this entire thread. The OP is talking about USB 3 data transfer rates. Currently all iOS devices except for 12.9" iPad are USB 2 data transfer speeds. The OP wants to know what the iPhone 7 is.

23. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

Think you may have missed the point...

24. Bryonator1 macrumors newbie

Ahh well so it seems I did. Sorry about that. I thought the question sounded a bit odd and made an (incorrect) assumption.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    To put the thread back on track we will have to wait until the 16th, as already mentioned, when someone like iFixit can tell us if it has a chip similar to the one found in the larger iPad Pro.

25. Wackery macrumors 6502a