Is iPhone a Video Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majordude, Apr 17, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have shunned cell phones because of the cost, contracts and accessibility (I like to be hard to find). But I now need a video phone that I can record movies on and upload them to a web page.

Can the iPhone do this or is it just a camera (photo) phone?

I stumbled upon the Nokia N95 or N96 (which are even MORE expensive than the iPhone... imagine THAT! :eek:) and they look sweet but I can't find an American carrier that offers them (I'd have to buy an unlocked one).

Is there a simple solution for me?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

As of right now, you can't record or upload stuff. I'd wait to see what all will be in 2.0 before you make a decision if you can, though. If it's not in 2.0, it'll probably be a long way off.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Is 2.0 is a few months off? Will that be a new phone or an update (software/firmware)?

Any input on another carrier, brand or model if 2.0 doesn't pan out?

(Dig your avatar BTW!)

4. specops macrumors regular

it can't record video now. (it can if you hack it)

At the end of june 2.0 firmware comes out and its a free upgrade to iphone owners.

It will let us install APPS onto our phones via the "app store" (its just like itunes)

I'm almost positive that they will have an app that will let you record video and upload it to many different sites.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

2.0 is rumored to be around June, but we don't know what that entails (new phone or just software/firmware). So far the strongest rumor is 3G. Video recording can be done through a software update (someone was able to hack the iPhone to record video, no idea what happened to the idea/program), so it's likely that if that feature is introduced that it will be available to older users.

Are Blackberries able to record video yet? I remember seeing a rumored firmware update that included video recording, but I haven't been keeping up with Blackberry news.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If you're looking for video, I'd suggest the Nokia N95, or N96(don't thinks its out yet in US). Pricey little guys, but their cameras are great, make sure you get 3G, mobile uploads would be a pain on EDGE.

iPhone's camera is par for the smartphone course, nothing great, and can't record video. You could wait for June, but see how Apple didn't add video from the start, I can't seem the pushing it a ton. I'd look for another device, unless Apple nails it in iPhone OS 2.0

But no one offers the high end Nokia's subsidized in the US. Only AT&T or T Mobile would(until LTE for Verizon, in about 3 years, but it will be a whole new game then) since its GSM based. There were rumors of AT&T offering the EGDE model of the N95, but it never happened. Those headsets are high end, so carriers tend to avoid them

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

A WM6 phone can record video, if you're in the market for one.

8. zmit macrumors regular

9. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

If I bought an unlocked phone, any ideas of who would be a good carrier for me? I don't think AT&T does 3G (what the hell do I know?). T-Mobile?

10. Mike49 macrumors member

Apple should make the current POS camera in the iPhone better before they tackle video. Having a decent camera was apparently not very high on the developmental priority list.

11. James17 macrumors 6502

My iPhone can record video. I use the Showtime App. I paid £5 ($10) for it. :)

12. benny100 macrumors member

do u have the license key for showtime? how long does it record for?

13. El Magnificante macrumors member

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got them mixed.
    Tmobile dont do 3G at the moment but AT&T does.
    Check out their coverage thruout the US.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.jsp

15. zmit macrumors regular

I have showtime as well. i havent used it much (because i havent needed to) but it only records for 4 seconds unless you buy it.

as James said, its only $10 so its pretty cheap.

however.... after doing a quick search.... Showtime only does 6 frames per second! which isnt that great.
    there arent many other options though.
    there is one in development that is meant to capture in full 2mp resolution at ~40fps!

at the moment there is only a beta that lets you record for 5sec at 10fps.
    its called Drunknbass

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The next iPhone should possibly have a better camera, and have a video recording feature adding directly from Apple. This was talked about a few months ago, but haven't heard much since.

I've been saying this since day one. The ability to record movies and upload them to YouTube right from the phone.

17. James17 macrumors 6502

Yes I purchased a license for it. I think it records unlimited since it is purchased, until storage runs out I imagine. The other program that is in development which contains audio recording and the ability to upload to YouTube straight away is uShow.