Is iPhone first bluetooth phone that can't be used as a modem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toke lahti, Jul 4, 2007.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

2. afd macrumors 6502a

Does seem a bit bizarre, I was looking forward to buying a phone that would come with mac modem drivers. The last phone I had that has that was an ericsson R520, every other one I've had to use a script from Ross Barkman. Now apple makes a phone and they don't produce any modem drivers!

Maybe they will eventually.

3. cyberone macrumors regular

that was a main condition when i bought phones to using them as a gprs modem.

they simply must have omitted that thingy - for sure it will follow with a firmware.

4. Dermot81 macrumors member

The last two phones I had with verizon were disabled from the get-go for BT tethering.

5. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Is it so over there in US, that you have only flat rate data packets or why eg. Verizon does not want money from data usage?

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Verizon wants to suck as much money from you as possible. Their phones are completely crippled. You can't even connect a phone to a computer via bluetooth to transfer pics and ringtones. You have to buy everything from Verizon.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Sony has made many locked down phones.

BT as modem is more times than not locked by phone makers on the request of the cell phone provider. I know Verizon cripples. Sprint use to, but no longer, but if you use your phone as modem for too long they will require you to get a wireless data plan (the $60 kind, not the $15 one).

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The last 4 Sony Ericsson phones I've had have all worked, perhaps it's the US mobile operators that insist on blocking the BT modem access?

9. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

AFAIK, in Finland no phones are locked, so it must be US operators that lock or request locked phones.

So is iPhone locked by Apple or AT&T?

If it's locked by Apple, is it then first bluetooth phone that is locked by manufacturer?

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The Verizon XV6700 was crippled at first, but a later software update enabled BT tethering.

Wonder if it could be used to give an iPhone EVDO access, either over BT or WiFi computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network sharing?

11. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

sprint charges an extra $39.99 to use its phones as a modem

12. fithian macrumors regular

Sprint

I have been using a Sony Ericcson T608 with Sprint as a modem for my laptops. It is $20 a month over the talk minutes. No request to get another plan. It is for sale as soon as my iPhones arrive; probably Monday.