Is iPhone/iOS dying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fterh, May 14, 2011.

1. fterh macrumors member

Hi all, I'm an Android user, and am planning on jumping ship over to iOS because of all the fantastic apps and games available on iOS. That's right, the Android market is polluted with a lot of rubbish apps. Strip away the crap, and you're left with a handful of quality, top-notch apps and games. :(

The thing is, as you all know, Android is growing exponentially over the months. Is iOS doomed to an eventual death? Or will it remain as the top priority for app developers?

Because right now, although Android has overtaken iOS, iOS remains the platform that developers choose to write apps for first, before writing a counterpart for Android. I'm scared that after jumping ship, developers shift their attention to Android (read: I'm freaking unlucky to be on the "slower" ship for 2x in a row).

Cheers!

2. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Uhm, you know you are talking about a company that made 65 BILLION dollars last year on sales right? I doubt it's a dying platform. In fact, iOS continues to set the standard for ease of use and bringing in new people to the smart phone market.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'd say iOS and Android are the top 2 dogs of an ever growing ecosystem. That's like asking "are Mac's dying?" just because you have more volume of PC sales :rolleyes:

Trust me... iOS is here to stay

4. fterh thread starter macrumors member

well to be fair sales revenue doesn't mean anything. for example it could have made 100 billion 3 years back, 80 billion 2 years back, and 65 billion last year. which points to an eventual decline.

in this case it's not just more volume, but increasing volume (which translates to decreasing percentage of market share for iOS). don't get me wrong, I don't wish for iOS to die as well. I may be an Android user now, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-apple. :)

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm sure iOS is a priority over Android for developers. It must be easier to develop an app for an OS that only has a handful of devices versus one that has over one hundred. What a headache! Also, there's a study somewhere showing iOS users on average spend quiet a bit more on their apps. Android users spend far less. Maybe it's because the Android platform has younger users in general? Also, I'm sure the fact that you can buy Apple App Store gift cards practically anywhere seriously helps Apple. There's a whole lot of people who don't like entering their credit card information online. Plus they give younger kids the opportunity to buy apps without a credit card.

6. Mario Loco macrumors member

I agree with Goldenboy. You can buy itunes gift cards anywhere.

iOS is here to stay. I think once iOS5 goes out we will have many features and enhancements that we have been complaining about.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You nailed it on the head. As an indie dev I can say Android right now is a nightmare due to fragmentation. While fragmentation doesn't affect the end user directly (hence why many people claim its not an issue), it does affect the quality of apps available on the Android platform, especially games since game devs need to worry about their graphics looking consistent.

There is also the problem of multiple app stores on Android. This is another issue I would like to see Google fix.

iOS is far from dying. Its the best mobile OS I've ever used and developed for and I'll continue to develop for it (2 games in the works). While I would like to develop for Android too, and I do to an extent, its simply not feasible at the moment until Google implements some of its plans to eliminate fragmentation. All it takes is users of a certain handset to have problems then your games reputation gets trashed.

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to make this quick. No iOS is not dying. iOS users download more apps than Android user, they spend more money on apps and devoplers have made more money off iOS than Android.

9. fterh thread starter macrumors member

Glad to hear that then. :) But one of the biggest put-offs of iOS imo is the lack of Flash. But I've read that you can run Flash by JB? :confused:

10. GP_1 macrumors regular

11. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

But it's NOT a decline

2008 - 32 billion
    2009 - 42 billion
    2010 - 65 billion

Yeah, it's dying alright.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Even if you could run flash on iOS, you wouldn't want to.
    iOS isn't dying, but Flash on the other hand...

13. fterh thread starter macrumors member

i said FOR EXAMPLE :mad:. glad to see this then :):D

actually i would, and i'm sure many would too. in android there is something called "flash on demand".

basically that means that flash isn't loaded automatically (so no battery drain, none of the downsides of flash), but you have the CHOICE to run it in certain scenarios, such as when there isn't a non-flash alternative to get something done (navigation menus for example).

it boils down to choice. apple needs to give its users choice, to let them decide on their experience, and not dictate what is good and what is bad.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Short answer: No it's not dying, and won't be anytime soon, go for it.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Are you kidding? I think a ton of users in this forum are under 20. I can only speak for me but ive spent more on Android apps than i did on iPhone apps and i can i could get both for free if i wanted.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Apple is projected to sell over 100 million iPhone 5's. Does that say dying to you?

17. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Closet troll?

Seems to me you came in with a troll type headline and asked some really silly questions. Post up a pick of your iPhone when you pick it up.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should stay with Android OP and join an android fanboy site instead.

19. fterh thread starter macrumors member

Nope, not trolling. I know the thread title seems troll-like, but I assure you, I'm serious about jumping ship to iOS, and I'm definitely not trolling. :)

Well, I want to hear about the pros of iOS from an apple's fanboy's point of view. I'm no stranger to the lambasting of iOS, so it's time for a change.

Hence my post here.

20. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Even in IOS's walled garden there are still multiple of every kind of app you could imagine, this means competition to make sure apps stay pristine. Buy a used iPhone if you are switching over or wait for the iPhone 5. I'm using a 3GS till the 5 comes out and it is still fantastic.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you go and try one out and see for yourself if you like it or not?
    No matter what anyone says on the internet wont make a difference. Not everyone likes the same things and what works great for others might not for you.
    Also you have 30 days to test it out, if you dont like it you can return it with no ETF.

22. fterh thread starter macrumors member

nah, my HTC desire (android) is good for now. :)

try out what? an iphone? how? never heard of that before. :p:eek:

23. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Apple store.

24. fterh, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

fterh thread starter macrumors member

you mean you can buy an iphone and return it if you're not satisfied? :eek:

Edit: Aw damn, the return policy of the Singapore Apple Store is a bit different.

25. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

They have models on display. You can go play around with one and see if you enjoy it.