Is iPhone OS4 still too unstable to risk on primary device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjbryce, May 11, 2010.

1. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Thinking of joining the developer program, but I only have one iPhone. Is it still too unstable to risk?

TIA

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

The only problems i seem to have is with the new features, iPod and very occasionally calls. All seem to be resolved by a restart. Again the problems are only occasional. I use it on my primary device. Go for it!

Maybe the alarm too but then again i think i am just sub consciously turning it off and falling back to sleep :/

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had beta3 on my iPhone over the weekend. I found it to be stable, though a bit laggy, especially on calls. I'd answer the phone but it was a second or two before the actual connection was made.

Performance was a bit slow for the few games I do play, like Tap Defense. Nothing horrific, just a small degradation.

I opted to revert back to 3.1, but I'm kind of missing those features now :) I'll probably put it back tonight.

As for stability, it was quite stable.

4. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Is that easy? How do you do that?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's two ways, first if you don't mind jail breaking it, using blackra1n. The other option I did was found here
    maclife

It was quite easy and I've not had any problems since reverting back to 31.

I did some googling on irecovery and found that it does what it advertises. It basically provides a CLI to set the iPhone to accept the lower version of the OS.

6. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I've found Beta 3 to be very stable and I'm enjoying the new features quite a bit. With Beta 1, I was almost tempted to try and go back but 3 is much better.

Just remember, it's BETA software (which I'm sure you're aware). So, be prepared to put up with the little bugs and glitches. And, don't get upset if your phone suddenly crashes and you have to start all over again :)

7. tnisatard macrumors 6502

im thinking of doing this one day just for the heck of it

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's why I did it :). I'm in developer program so why not.

9. techluvr macrumors regular

Same here.

I do that literally. I have found my iPhone on the bed and me asleep past when I should be. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Agreed, and I have the slow answering of calls as well.

Agreed, and my expectations have also been placed pretty low at this point, so I am expecting anything and everything.

To sum it up in a nutshell, I have found beta 3 to be very stable on my only iPhone and will say that it is fine for normal use.

10. brobert99 macrumors member

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

I'll add my vote for 'stable enough for daily use' ... Like sparkomatic, I was tempted to downgrade beta 1 but haven't even thought about it with beta 3. So far, so good.

12. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

wow only shows 10 avail now.