Is iPhone the best smartphone available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by revival, Apr 2, 2009.

1. revival macrumors newbie

I need to upgrade as I sold my iPhone 2G..... is iPhone really the best smartphone available?

I have heard from others that LG Vu, Samsung Eternity, Palm Bold and others are better...... unfortunately, I haven't tried any of them.

I mostly surf the web so need a fast connection and a great web browser. Don't need text messaging and rarely use the phone.

Has anyone here recommend anything other than iPhone... I need to upgrade today.

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Go to a couple stores and look at the display units and check them out and make a decision...

But in the end... tHe IpHoNe WiLl SuCk YoU iN!

3. mrtune macrumors 6502a

There is no such thing as the best smartphone out there, or any phone for that matter. Only what's best for 'you'.

Some phones are better at doing some things and other phone are better at doing different things.

If you want custom ringer profiles, background app capability, calendar inviting, etc then the iPhone may not be for you.

If you want a good mobile browsing experience, fantastic movie/music capabilities, an app for just about anything, etc then the iPhone is for you.

It all comes down to what features are important to you, and what phone specializes in those features.

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

Bottom line for you: If you want the best web browser around, get the iPhone 3G.

If you just want to get on the web but don't want to pay the data plan price, go with one of the feature phones you listed. Web browsing will not be nearly as good though. I can't help you choose between those.

You mentioned the Bold. The browser is pretty decent, but no where near as good as the iPhone. The Bold has a physical keyboard. If you really want the physical keyboard, that might be your best choice. The Bold is much more complicated to use however. You will need to read the manual carefully. The iPhone is intuitive right out of the box.

Happy shopping.

5. matttye macrumors 601

The thing that makes the iPhone the best phone (at this time) in my opinion is the multi touch user interface.. that's all. The flicking, dragging, panning, pinching and zooming that you can do to control the phone all make it 10 times more pleasant to use than any other phone.

You can pick up any old smartphone and get MMS, push email, exchange support, calendars, etc etc, but with the iPhone they're incredibly simple and somewhat fun to use. Call me a kid, but I have been known to sit there flicking up and down my contacts list when bored before :D

That said... If another phone with a decent interface came out I would probably switch to it immediately. The iPhone 3G is only Apple's second phone and their inexperience kinda shows. The sound quality on both iPhones leaves a lot to be desired... I want a phone that I can hear ringing when I'm walking along next to traffic. On my 2G iPhone I can't hear it even if I have it in my hand at the time!
    ..as well as the fact that it's taken them 2 years to add features like SMS forwarding, MMS and copy/paste to the phone.

Personally, I think the up and coming Nokia N97 is going to beat all existing phones hands down.. hardware wise.. but the software needs to be half decent if Nokia are hoping to sway any iPhone customers away.. I'm not going to make a decision until I get a hands on with both of them (the expected up & coming iPhone and the N97) :D

6. Doju macrumors 68000

It may not have all the features of the others one, but of the ones it has, it does incredibly better, easier, and prettier (okay, the last one doesn't matter but it's nice to see that touch). Plus, most of the features it doesn't have (MOST) are just silly things that the vast majority of users don't need.

The iPhone can do anything I throw at it. I think it's the best smartphone out there BY FAR for me, but is it for you? For web browsing, definitely. For ease of use, NO DOUBT.

7. davidlw macrumors 6502a

If Internet browsing is your thing, 3G iPhone is the one to get hands down.

8. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

great to see a thread like this now that doesn't say the typical "well the iPhone may be great but if you want something as simple as copy and pate or MMS you should pick another phone" :D

9. slapppy macrumors 65816

Well without Flash support internet browsing is limited. Look to the Pre for that capability.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

If you need reliable e-mail, then DON'T get an iPhone, you'll need to get a Blackberry Bold for that. That's the main reason why you don't see hardly any celebs with an iPhone has their primary phone...e-mail sucks on it.

11. Apple iKid macrumors regular

It all comes down to what your going to use if for the most. iPhones have great apps and are great for browsing, but they really lack in the email department (as said before).

If you are not relying on it for email, then I would say go for an iPhone. I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

12. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

If there is a smartphone better than an iPhone it wouldn't be an LG Vu, or Samsung Eternity, and I think you mean Palm Pre;) which does look very promising or the Blackberry bold, lol.:D

13. Apple iKid macrumors regular

I wouldnt really trust any other touch screen phone. I have lots of friends that have various touch screen's by other manufacturers and they all suck. The screens seem to break easily and they lose their functionality very quickly.

iPhone is by far the best in the "touch screen" department. (so far)

14. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

The Palm Bold is definitely the best smartphone out there.. not sure what the others are talking about :)

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

LOL... Yeah the PALM :rolleyes: Bold is definitely the best out there. :p

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Smart Phone = Apple.

Other phone = other people.

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Like the Honda G35 model.

18. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Is the iPhone the best smart phone available?

A simple YES would have been an acceptable answer! :D

My opinion only though...
    I am continuously amazed at what I can do with it and how it does it.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'll tell you what you want to hear. The iPhone is the best smartphone in the world. It will suit all your needs, and has all the functions you'd EVER want.

20. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Without a doubt, the iPhone is one of the best phones on the market. Its multimedia aspects are phenomenal! Its built well and it has amazing features, more to come in the 3.0 OS.

The other phones you listed are nice as well, but Apple definitely takes pride in their products. The Bold is more business, the other touch screen phones aren't as responsive as the iPhone (from what I have heard).

But if you do want to go with the iPhone, yeah, you want to make use of the ATT (if that's what you're going to use) $30 plan.

21. Aumz macrumors member

In a word NO in a few words HELL NO.

IMHO a smartphone must have an office application and be able to be used as a hard drive/memory stick.

Once iPhone has this then it will be the best smartphone on the market today, tomorrow and next week

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just curious, but which smartphones can be used as hard drive/memory stick?

And there are a number of apps available that lets you store files on your iphone, though after trying several of them, I have given up and am now loving my usb flash drive, which a salesperson gave me for free with a laptop purchase.

23. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

blackberry os, winmo, android, s60 and webos all support mass storage mode.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Wow, thanks, great to know!

25. chox99 macrumors regular

I would wait for it. Toshiba TG01, new iPhone 3G, HTC Magic(G2)...a lot of interesting phones are coming this summer.
    if not, I believe Sammy Omnia and HTC HD would be the best option. As far as WinMo phone goes, those are rock solid.