Is iphone the new Bose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RickInHouston, Oct 13, 2014.

1. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Wow. If you're a Sunday football fan it's absolutely insane. Every phone carrier's ad is about the iphone. Every apple ad is about the iphone. It's marketing overload. It's all iphone all day. Does anyone else see it?

Doesn't too much exposure all the sudden cheapen the brand? Iphone is suddenly feeling like the new Bose (overmarketed).

2. Scott1012 macrumors member

I don't think so. The basic principle in marketing is too pound and pound away. It is all about volume to the consumer, even if the volume is too much or annoying.

Do you remember the Sham-Wow commercial? Could a person be any more annoying than the character in that commercial? Yet, it sold millions because they kept pounding away. Same with Oxy Clean.

Now with Apple, their commercials are not cheesy like the former examples and they want to saturate our minds that they are the only game in town. It is clever marketing in my opinion.

3. Rockies macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would have bought Bose instead of wasting millions on horrible Beats and U2 Album. I actually like the Bose line-up.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think it says a lot about the state of carriers when EVERY one of them is desperately trying to get folks locked in....and the center of that ploy is the iP6.

IF anything I think it shows that regardless of marketshare, iPhone has cemented it's place as the far and away frontrunner in MINDSHARE...which in my book is far more important in an industry that has rapidly reached maturity in terms of revolutionary enhancements.

5. itjw macrumors 65816

Yep. It's almost like Apple knew if they hit it out of the park (which they did) by 3GS/4 time it wouldn't MATTER if other manufacturers "caught up".

There will always be "spec whores" that will jump ship when Samsung tosses in a "Deci-Core" processor (that still somehow manages to lag through the latest Android release for some reason...), but by and large, by capturing the mass market as early as they did, Apple has cemented the majority of it's user base.

Carriers know this. They know people HAVE to have an iPhone. People line up to pay MSRP for iPhones. People went to AT&T (a loathed service) just BECAUSE of the iPhone back when it was exclusive.

So now they advertise that they have it, and they do "xyz" better, or give you more of whatever, or charge less, etc...

Because the MAJORITY of people don't give a flying crap about other phones anymore.

Apple won. I have mixed feelings about it (I admit I used to love when the iPhone was "cool" and edgy, and now even grandma has one...), but it's pretty obvious that no one else even comes close with a single model.

Carriers are just smart about it, nothing wrong with that.

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You're taking it too personally rather than seeing the whole picture. It wasn't about just the headphones or music boxes. Beats has something Bose doesn't and that's the streaming service Apple is trying to get up and started with.
    And it is possible you know for Apple to upgrade the Beats headphones into something very respectable and qualifiable as a premium-quality product.

And to the OP, Apple has the hottest phone right now. They should be hammering it in the face of millions. How about how every second of the game someone one the sidelines is wearing Bose monitor headphones. It doesn't bother me but it's definitely shameless promotion on Bose's part. I mean, it gives off the impression that Bose is "preferred" in the NFL rather than just a deal signed to be the official audio product of the NFL.