Is iPhone4 best battery life for smartphone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I love my Android phones. Haven't owned an iPhone since my 3G. But man the battery life in these Droids is killing me. I can't stand it anymore.

I have the Sprint EVO 4G it is rooted with a great custom ROM known for extending battery life. On a heavy business day during the week I am now getting 7 to 8 hours max before it is dead. But that's much improved from stock where it was 4 to 6 hours if used heavily.

I make approx 50 calls a day...50 texts...dozen e-mails...surf web a bit...and in less than 8 hours of thst phone is dead. Can the iPhone4 handle that much talk and text and still have power ?

The EVO is even worse if running YouTube or surfing online a lot. Took phone off charger this morning at 100% my daughter watched a couple 5min videos and I did like 10 texts and couple calls. And hoyr later down to 71% already.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Blackberry, I believe, is best in terms of battery life. But the iPhone is certainly a close second. I think Anandtech.com had some battery life comparisons recently.

3. cc999 macrumors 6502

battery

I can say that the iPhone 4 battery life is fantastic. I do much more then you in the course of a business day and after 12-14 hours I have around 30% battery. This phone handles heavy use no problem. Much improved over the 3GS that I used to own.

Charlie C

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Main things I like on my EVO are the notification system and large screen. Well the 4.3" screen is borderline too big, actually other phones with 4" screens feel perfect.

I just want a good smartphone that can handle a solid days work, and still have juice for when I get home, and not be married to chargers 24/7.

I used Blackberry's couple years ago, they feel so dated like from the typewriter era.

5. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

But at this stage of the game, not sure it is wise for me to dump my EVO, if there will be an iPhone5 in approx three months ?

And then need to decide which carrier ? ATT ? Verizon ? T-Mobile ( which is next in line to sell the iPhone per very strong rumors )

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Decide on carrier first, like it is mentioned over and over here. THEN decide on the phone. Since it's only 3 months, WAIT. I mean, it's only 3 months.

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I live in Chicago, and others on ATT say it is horrible deep downturn and in the skyscrapers, and can drop calls, but good in the burbs. But that Verizon has excellent voice service, rarely a dropped call, just slower data.

To me voice service and no dropped calls is #1, but Verizon is the most expensive. Oh well, we see what June brings us, if Verizon gets the iPhone5, I most likely go to them. Will be crossing fingers that Sprint get's the iPhone finally :cool:

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

OP, have you put an extended battery in there yet?

Even ones that fit internally can give another 20% of time.

Fifty calls a day plus other stuff seems more than most people do.

9. drbob20 macrumors member

Coming from a Droid incredible, with an extended battery to the IP4 I can clearly state the the Iphone battery smokes that of the Droid, even with an extended battery. Same use, emails, texts, games, I'll get more than one full day where as before I'd have to charge at some point during the day or by night it would be dead. Just my .02.....

10. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The battery life is pretty amazing for my usage on the iPhone 4. Even with a hard usage I still come home with around 35% left. Normally I was charging my phone a few times a day.