Is is a good time to buy an iPod Touch 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Feb 19, 2009.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

So, basically I had an iPod Touch 2g shortly after launch. I really liked it but was having some problems with it and I need to exchange it. So when I returned it to Radio Shack, they didn't have any in stock (and really wanted me to just get the 1g version) and none of the other local stores had them in stock either. So, I waited around for about a month hoping to get one, but never could find one in stock, so at the point in time I just decided to forget about it since I didn't really need it anyway.

I loved the touch and really missed having it, but eventually I was able to get over it and move on :(

So, now I've been looking to get an additional cell phone and I was looking into getting one that would have similar features to that of what I wanted most out of the iPod Touch. I had several phones I liked, but I narrowed it down to a handful with the Samsung Omina being in the lead. Basically, I have a Blackberry now as my main phone, but I wanted to get a phone that would have good scheduling, notes, calendar, etc. that I could use without always having to take my Blackberry. The Omnia looked good and of all the phones I had to choose from was the closest one to fitting my needs perfectly. So, I was getting ready to add another line, only to find out that Verizon changed their policy and all newer model cell phones require a data plan. I already have a data plan on my main line and didn't really want/need one on my other line, so that idea was pretty much shot.

So, now I'm back at square one trying to decide on a good device to keep myself organized. Ideally that was going to be a cell phone, but since it didn't work I'm leaning toward the idea of getting a PDA like device instead. Looking online the world of PDAs is pretty much over and there are a few models left with basic functions and some nicer models that cost as much or more than an iPod Touch, so here I am back to exploring the idea of an iPod Touch. My main purpose for the iPod Touch is going to be to use it as a PDA like device, from the little amount of time I used it, I think it will do what I need it to do okay.

So, basically I just want to know if it is a good time to buy the iPod Touch, mostly concerned with most of the problems being worked out that were there after release and also if any changes are scheduled in the near future.

I've not been following the news of the iPod Touch since shortly after I got rid of mine, so I'm afraid I'm out of the know a little bit.

Thanks so much!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you need a cell phone and a PDA, how come you haven't considered the iPhone?

3. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Probably because the OP inferred he already had service with Verizon..

4. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, SDDave2007 is right, I've already got my cell service through Verizon. In my area it is the best coverage of any network and since I've had them (around 8 years or so now) I have had, maybe, 10 dropped calls, where when I was on another network (on a pay as you go for a short while) I could hardly make a call without it dropping. I'm in a small town, so finding good coverage isn't always easy, which is why I've stuck with Verizon.

I have a Blackberry, but I was really wanting something that would help me keep track of everything without always having to take my Blackberry. I liked the idea of getting a smartphone since it would only be about $10 more per month and I could have everything I need in one device, but, since I would have to either get a data plan or a phone that doesn't really do what I need, I don't really think this will work for me.

I'd like to get the iPhone, but I'm not really sure if I want to make the switch over completely to a full touchscreen phone, as a second phone it wouldn't be a problem, but as a main phone I'm not so sure I want to go that route.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In that case, if you are happy with the Blackberry as your main phone, then I think you should go ahead and get the Touch. You said you had the Touch when the 2nd gen first came out, right? Well, there are a lot more apps in the app store now, and I think the functionality of the Touch as a PDA has increased exponentially because of the newer apps. And no other smartphone has such a robust app store, so for that alone, I think there's nothing that comes close to beating the Touch as a PDA.

6. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I love the app store. I had so many apps when I had the touch that I didn't have time to put them all on my iPod touch before having to return it. I definitely think the apps are what really sets the iPod Touch apart from others, more than anything else.... It is great to hear that there are even more, and most likely better apps out there now!

So, is it a good time to buy a touch, in terms of bugs being worked out (for the most part) and no others scheduled anytime soon?

Thanks!

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

Depends on which bugs you encountered and didn't like ....

Generally the iPod touch firmware is fairly bug-free these days, and also the newer 2nd gen is about 25% faster than 1st gen (it is really noticed mainly in games) and has better batter life and supposedly a slightly brighter screen. Plus the curved ally back is really nice in the hand.

There won't be a new version of iPod for a while most likely since ipod refreshes usually occur in sept/oct

8. rwriTouch macrumors newbie

rwriTouch

That's exactly what I did. I've had a Blackberry but the media applications are sorry and I don't care for AT&T (personal preference) so the iPhone is out of the question. I got the iTouch 2G for Christmas and now I feel I have the best of both worlds. The only thing is, now I have 2 devices to carry around.

Glad to be a part of the community and hope to learn a lot from you guys.

9. syclick macrumors regular

If you're not itching for a 64GB version, I say go for it.

10. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

You sound very wise, I think I will take your advice :cool:

I'm not really wanting a 64gb version, I really don't need more than 8, but I plan to get the 16gb again just for my own comfort. I have an 80gb MP3 now and I'm not even up to 10gb on it and I've got every CD on it I can find in my house (even things I don't like), I've had it since December of 2007. I just like to have the extra space for apps and things, but I definitely don't need more than 16gb.

synagence, I guess I'm referring to both bugs and hardware issues alike. I had a few problems with mine, a dead pixel, two of the corners were lose (I think that is the correct term) the acceleromater was really off and I couldn't get it to calibrate correctly, really had to overcorrect it to get it to work right (I'm thinking I had to turn more to the left to get things to work properly) I'm thinking there were some other issues back when I had mine that I didn't have, but don't recall what they were, I returned mine a month or two after release.

rwriTouch, I know exactly how you feel. The Blackberry is a great device, but the attempts to go beyond a working device have kind of failed, in my opinion. I love the look of the storm and all, but it still can't do everything the touch does and really doesn't function that great. I also find the touch screen to be less than ideal (for myself at least) for the amount of e-mailing I do on it. I'd love to be able to merge my devices, but at this point I think having both is going to be my best option.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

Yeah ... remember that 16Gb iPod will actually give you about 14.6Gb of actual usable space.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's what I thought until I started finding videos to put on my touch -- video podcasts, music videos, tv episodes... Now my first gen 16gb touch's battery isn't holding power very well, and I'm dithering over whether to buy the second gen 32gb now or wait for a 64gb!

13. iPodGator macrumors newbie

I just bought myself a 16gb last night after a lengthy debate with myself. I probably could have gotten away with an 8gb. I am so happy with it.

14. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

I'm positive that a 16gb is going to do the job. The one I had originally was a 16gb and I was fine with that amount of space. I don't have much music (and will only put the music I really like on this anyway) I have some videos, but once they are watched I will delete them (I don't have music videos, just shows, movies, etc. so one watch and I'm done with them) so the majority of what I will be using is apps. I think I had 4 pages of apps on the last one and I had plenty of space with a lot of videos and things, so I really think it will be good enough.