Is is normal for Macbook Aluminum Temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PowerbookFAN, Jun 24, 2010.

1. PowerbookFAN macrumors newbie

I'm watching Hulu and here is my CPU temp for a 1 yr old Macbook Aluminum. Is this normal? Temps run even higher when I run games, but that's expected.

Applecare? Luckily I have it covered but is this within the acceptable range?

(temperature attached in the jpg below)

Attached Files:

2. PowerbookFAN thread starter macrumors newbie

lame.

this thing is burning through my lap right now but i can't do anything about it... great

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

What are you doing with it? Mine is normally 130-140F when browsing with several tabs open. Mine rarely exceeds 170 when gaming as well, so I have no idea why its that hot. Unless you have a lot of flash going on in your web browsing, or you have the back of the hinge blocked, it should be considerably cooler than that.

EDIT: sorry, I just saw that you were watching hulu, which uses flash I believe, so it will get hotter. If your fans aren't spinning up, then I would recommend a fan control app, which would cool it off a bit.

4. PowerbookFAN thread starter macrumors newbie

I literally took that screenshot with only Hulu running in Firefox (latest version).

Granted Hulu is CPU heavy, but if I took the temps while idling people would just dismiss the readings. I can try run Portal in steam and take temps again. In any case, I think it's too hot for me to just watch Hulu and the fan kicks in intermittently during the day when I'm just browsing and writing emails via Apple Mail.

Edit: I see. Still, I shouldn't have to download 3rd party software to fix a 1st party hardware issue.

5. PowerbookFAN thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently, Hulu did some optimizing. YouTube is worse. I opened 1 tab in firefox with 1 video running (portal 2 E3 video) and here's the max temp.... that's a whopping 20C higher than few minutes ago. Again, on my lap (I'm not wearing a sweater or under the sun, I'm in an A/C room).

Still normal?

Attached Files:

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's insane hot. I have never seen mine hit even 190F, so I don't know what is up with that. Mine is usually only in the 150 range with youtube, occasionally 160, so I don't think that's normal. You may want to take it to an apple store to see what is causing it to be that hot.