Is iSkin Protouch FX supposed to fade like this????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baloney1011, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

My iSkin ProTouch FX (purple) is ~1 month old, and, well, the pictures tell the whole story...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can (hopefully) see from those images, all of the keys have fading all around the edges which looks horrible in real life. And I won't even mention the spacebar. So, is this supposed to happen or something? I know I have a 1-year warranty, and I contacted them and they said they would be "happy to provide me with warranty service." Thing is, "warranty service" will probably take a long time. Certainly enough time to ruin my keys with the grease spots because my fingers are very oily. I have another option: I could pick up one of those TopCase keyboard covers for $2 on Amazon and then get "warranty service" done on my iSkin. I really like the metallic gold one and it looks pretty nice on a YouTube video (except, of course, you get what you pay for - the letters aren't really lined up, you can't see the backlight very well and the F-keys are wrong). Are those $2 keyboard covers any good? They're made of the same silicone like the iSkin, I guess, right? It's just that with $30 wasted on a piece of silicone, I am not going to tolerate it deteriorating like that. What do you people say?

Attached Files:

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Maybe its just the salts from your sweat eating away the color. I have one that is similar and no fading and I got it for a dollar on ebay :D .

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Didn't you just answer your own question? You have oily fingers!

4. chillfrilla macrumors member

5. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, well... I didn't realize oil could damage silicone!! I guess I'll have to ask them for a refund under my warranty and then buy one of those $2 ones off of Amazon and replace them every two months.

6. chillfrilla macrumors member

did u not bother reading my suggestion?

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

It's the paint that you damaged.