Is it a bad idea not to use both RAM slots>

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enigma373, Jan 2, 2008.

1. enigma373 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook and plan on upgrading the 1gb of memory to 2GB. I want to leave the option open to upgrade later. I want to buy a 2gb stick and use that but may not actually upgrade any further thus leaving an open RAM slot. Is this going to have negative consequences on my systems performance?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

He probably has 2-512mb chips. Just take one out and upgrade to 2.5.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

No, there is nothing wrong with leaving a ram slot empty.

However, why would you? You already have some ram so leave in what you can and put in the 2Gb with it giving you even more ram for no added cost. Unless of course you were planning on selling the existing ram.

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

i plan on doing the same thing, but leaving in one 512mb chip...for 2.5gb, and making do with that for a few months til i see the need (if at all) to go to 4gb

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i know there's dual channeling on a MBP but I have no experience with that on Macs and whether or not it provides performance gains. With windows based PCs, you would generally want to have identical RAM in pairs.

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The main thing is that Intel memory chipsets are optimized for dual-channel memory. Moving to one slot or mis-matched dimms would result in a performance hit.

Not much, mind you, but measurable.

8. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The dual channeling is handled by the chipset memory controller completely independent of the OS.

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

true. I forget that macs use pc hardware found in everyday windows pcs, i wasnt talking of OS anyway. I meant computers that you can install Windows on usually have dual channeling now days.