Is it a bad idea to always charge your MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 6thDAY, Oct 25, 2014.

1. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I always seem to have my macbook pro plugged in and charging, even when its reached 100%.

Does it damage the battery or anything?

I recently got a new Mid-2014 Retina Pro and I want to keep it charged at max so if I ever go anywhere without a plug, I will have the max battery duration.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think if you go on your battery once a month it will increase the longevity

3. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

I'm actually wondering also, is that just a personal opinion or has there been actual tests done to prove that. Don't have much knowledge in that area so I'm curious as well

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

The charger is intelligent so it will stop charging when the battery is full. I would be more concerned about never discharging the battery.

Try to find info about that. I use my MBP also for quite some time plugged in but I have it on battery power 1 - 2 times a week, not intentional but by the nature of it being a laptop.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The charger is only a power supply, think of it as a pool the MBP drains from. The MBP will take what it needs, no more, no less.

Use your battery however you see fit, nothing you do'll make it last longer.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete