Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, when I clicked Software Update, it shows "iOS 15.8.2 iOS is up to date". However, when I went to an Apple store to purchase something, the staff asked me to download and install the Apple store app to place the order even I had my credit card ready to buy an in-stock item. This is very unusual. Never encountered such request before. When I tried to install the app, it said that it requires a version which is more recent than the one I have. I guess that may be the reason I keep getting "Cannot Connect to App Store" error when using the app. This brings to the important question of whether or not it is a bad idea to do online banking on an iPhone with an outdated iOS. Does it still get security patch?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Yes but my phone showed that "iOS is up to date" when I just realized that iOS 17 is the latest version. So better not to use it for online banking? I used to use iPad Pro to do online banking but I sold it few days before the new ones were announced.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Are you using your bank's app? It will have its own security if that's the case - as long as you aren't routinely installing random MDM profiles or visiting shady websites, you'll probably be fine for at least a little while. If you're using Safari, I'd start thinking about upgrading your phone sooner rather than later. If it's the bank app eventually they're going to stop offering you updates as well, so it's just a matter of time.

(as an example my CU's app works for iOS 14 and newer, but I'm sure that will change soon).

Your phone telling you that 15.8.2 is the newest means you've probably got a 6S/SE/7 series, which yes, are out of support now. It looks like the Apple Store app now requires iOS 16 or better.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
I don't understand.

I thought you got a 15 Pro Max? If so, why not use that and be on the latest OS to do your online banking?

Why would you use an older device/OS when you have a newer one?

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
What iPhone model are you using? iOS 15.8.2 is the latest update for iPhone 6s, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 7

If you have never downloaded the app, you can download and install iTunes 12.6.x on Windows and log in using your Apple ID to download the app, although it's been a few years since I've last tested this, then you can install the latest compatible version for iOS 15.8.2 on your iPhone...

For macOS, I'm not entirely sure which macOS version you can install iTunes 12.6.x but I have included the links below

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes [Archive.org]

iTunes 12.6.5.3 64bit [Windows]
iTunes 12.6.5.3 32bit [Windows]
iTunes 12.6.5.3 [macOS]

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Are you using your bank's app? It will have its own security if that's the case - as long as you aren't routinely installing random MDM profiles or visiting shady websites, you'll probably be fine for at least a little while. If you're using Safari, I'd start thinking about upgrading your phone sooner rather than later. If it's the bank app eventually they're going to stop offering you updates as well, so it's just a matter of time.

(as an example my CU's app works for iOS 14 and newer, but I'm sure that will change soon).

Your phone telling you that 15.8.2 is the newest means you've probably got a 6S/SE/7 series, which yes, are out of support now. It looks like the Apple Store app now requires iOS 16 or better.

No, I used to login from the bank's website using my iPad and Safari. Now I only have iPhone 6S+ and a Windows PC.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I don't understand.

I thought you got a 15 Pro Max? If so, why not use that and be on the latest OS to do your online banking?

Why would you use an older device/OS when you have a newer one?

When I opened the box, I saw several scratches near the USB-C port. I suspect it might be a returned item repackaged in the store and sold as new. Could this have happened? When I bought it, it took about 10-15 minutes for a staff to take it out even there were only a few customers in the store. She only took my phone out from the back. This is unusually long given my previous experiences with them. I complained to Apple and they told me to return it to a store for a replacement or refund. Also, within a few days, it happened two times that when I tried to take a photo, the screen was black. I packed the phone and stopped using it. It is sitting at a corner waiting to be returned when I have the time. I am trying to decide whether to go back to the same store or try another one.

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
This brings to the important question of whether or not it is a bad idea to do online banking on an iPhone with an outdated iOS. Does it still get security patch?
15.8.2 was released a couple of months ago, so it's relatively recent and should be secure.

It is sitting at a corner waiting to be returned when I have the time.
You have 14 days from the time of purchase to return the phone with no questions asked. If you think there's something strange going on with that store, you can always just order a phone online and have it delivered within a week or two.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
15.8.2 was released a couple of months ago, so it's relatively recent and should be secure.

You have 14 days from the time of purchase to return the phone with no questions asked. If you think there's something strange going on with that store, you can always just order a phone online and have it delivered within a week or two.

Anybody heard similar potential strange things going on in Apple store?

Is the packaging good enough to prevent damages during shipment? I have seen courier people throwing monitor.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Anybody heard similar potential strange things going on in Apple store?

Is the packaging good enough to prevent damages during shipment? I have seen courier people throwing monitor.
Was the box factory sealed? Normally you have to tear off tamper-apparent paper tabs at top and bottom of the box to open it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The Apo Store app always requires a very recent version of iOS to use it. It’s Apple’s way of punishing users who don’t buy new iPhones ever couple years. Just don’t use the App Store app. It’s totally unnecessary.

As for online banking, if the bank’s app also requires a more recent version of iOS, then just use their website instead. Bank apps are pretty much unnecessary anyway- except for remote deposit.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Was the box factory sealed? Normally you have to tear off tamper-apparent paper tabs at top and bottom of the box to open it.

Yes sealed. I wonder if employees at Apple stores can do such factory seal behind the door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.