Is it a bad idea to get a Macbook today?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mr.owl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mr.owl macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, really need your advice.

I have an extremely old macbook (nearly 6 years old) that I am on now, and it's close to dying. I really really want to get a new one.

I've been checking the 'mac rumours' page and it says "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"

I was originally planning on holding out for a new release, but I'm getting really impatient and I want to go to the mac store and buy a macbook, TODAY.

I just wanted to ask if this is a totally bad idea? Is the new macbook, when it comes out going to be that much different from the current one? I'm no mac expert so if it's just going to be subtle differences then I'm not even going to notice them.

Should I wait? Or does it not really matter? Is the new release going to be that much better?

thank you

2. hamlin macrumors regular

I don't think anyone knows the specs of the new macbook coming out(if it is) but I have the mid 2010 macbook and it's great. What are you going to do with it? Surf the net and watch vids? If so this macbook will work great. If you want to play games you should just get a pc.

3. ohmsy macrumors newbie

What are the odds Apple releases a new mac book this month?

4. mr.owl thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty much. Surfing, blogging..etc. I like to make the odd iMovie every now and then.

Does anyone know if the next macbook is going to be different in terms of looks, weight, size...etc? Or will it most likely be a few spec changes. :confused:

5. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

Looking at the pattern, the MacBook line will probably update around January. The spec change probably won't be too drastic. If you need it, get it.

6. happle macrumors 6502a

at the earliest the new mb wont come out till the end of january. but it could be a few months after that. no one really knows.

there probably wont be major changes to the current macbook, so imo just get it now.

your not doing anything thats terribly demanding so it doesnt really matter anyway...

7. mr.owl thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, think I'm gonn head to the mac store this evening and get one! :cool:

8. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Get 4GB of ram. I am ready to pull my hair out of my head in frustration with my new 2010 Macbook, which I got from work yesterday. I am easily using up all of the 2GB of ram in here frequently. I am really unimpressed with this Macbook.

9. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

btw.. if you have a Microcenter near you, they are selling the 13" Macbook Pro for $999!!!! It's a MUCH better buy than the white plastic Macbook.

10. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Tell your company to bump up your RAM? Funny, many people get along quite well with the stock 2GB of RAM, I mean crap, my girls runs photoshop all day on her MB and she only has 2GB of RAM and her comp is a beast, fast like cheetah with a rocket on its back

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The white Macbook is a good laptop. You will be happy with it for many years. It could be the last time they include the optical drive. Even if it has 2 GB is is still a screamer.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's always a good idea to get a MacBook (or MacBook Pro...that microcenter deal really is a great one!).
    :D