Is it a bad time to buy a Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babond, Nov 13, 2007.

1. babond macrumors member

So I'm thinking of trying to get the Macbook next week as an early Christmas present but I've been hearing LOTS of weird things about the keyboard and problems with it sleeping/waking. My ibook finally pooped out on me a few days ago after four years of "TONS" of use. It freezes 2-10minutes everytime i reboot it. I wouldnt mind fixing it to give to my gf if its not too pricey. I think I need a new cpu though.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i think it actually is a very good time to get one, macbook was just upgraded to SR i doubt there will be anything else coming soon for the macbook, best time to buy imo

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Remember it's mainly people with problems who post in forums so it's not an accurate representation of Apple's quality control (obviously things like the iMac freezing issue is an exception).

In my oppinion, now is a great time to buy a Macbook. They have just been updated so you'll have the lastest and greatest for about 4-6 months!

4. babond thread starter macrumors member

yeah im not trying to wait on any upgrades BUT i figured maybe i'd wait till all these little problems get fixed.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I bought one last week for my wife and she loves it. I love it. They keyboard does freeze occasionally from waking and we STILL LOVE IT!

She even told me if I got her anything else she wouldn't have been as happy and she's pretty dumb when it comes to computers LOL.

I'd recomend getting one asap. All nuances aside it's a pretty damn good machine and I'm really impressed with it. Running off the stock 1g ram and it still rocks.

6. grantwall macrumors newbie

Was wondering the same thing as the topic poster.
    This will be my first Mac purchase though I have used them on many occasions, so I wish to get the best purchase for my money.

Now, the update they have had, is not seeming to register as an update in the buyers guide. Is this just outdated? Or is it due to it being so miniscule?

Would there be any updates in the possible January macworld other than the possible ultra-portables?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

well, teh way i look at it, is you can enjoy it now with the little nuisances, get it fixed when the fixes are done and keep enjoying it orrrrr you can wait, not enjoy it at all right now wait for the fix and then enjoy it then, i don't see the price going down or anything so there is nothing to lose...

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

The updates are rumors in regards to the macbook specifically. Not much is known if the ultra slim will replace the macbook or if it'll be a totally new product.

Another rumor AND it's just a rumor is that Apple may drop the price next year. Again, still rumor. I don't think the price is to bad since before I bought mine I did a pretty good price compare between it and a comporable Dell. Given the difference was about 500 bucks in favor of the Dell (being the cheaper) I looked at other things. Apple's reputation, OSX's reputation for being stable and secure, Vista's reputation (the only OS solution from Dell) looks (yes aesthetics goes a long way and the macbook is a beautiful machine) and all these things outweighed in my mind more than 500 bucks, especially the Vista and being tied to Windows. Seeing as how Vista still won't support full 4g ram and leopard does right out the box, I choose the Macbook.

Now if rumor is the ultra slim will replace the MB then I'm glad I bought one now. I very much like the size of the MB and so does my wife. I also like having a CD/DVD drive built in for like watching movies while traveling. I doubt the ultra slim will replace it.

My personal advice and take it for what it's worth, get it now. People have been (review through the forums for proof) using their macs for a VERY long time and they've not only been happy, but their macs for the most part have been able to keep up (with the exception of leopard) with all the software. Regardless of which one you get it's bound to be more stable than any windows box (all the reported nuances is nothing IMO compared to vista's hang ups) and will be good specs for well into the future for what it's designed to do.

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I would go ahead and buy the new MB.
    the issues that are posted aren't that many actually when I think back when they released the c2d version last year.
    besides apple's customer care is usually very good..

10. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Well, I just got one last Sat, so far, I have the screen alignment problem and the keyboard malfunctioning problem..

11. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

Negative.

You should get the Macbook now
    However, for Macbook Pro, buy if only you need it.

Both laptops are good time to buy now.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Since they just received an update (albeit minor) I would say now is a great time to buy. The next updates probably won't be until the Penryn models are ready, and the MacBook pro will receive those well before the MacBook. I'd say we won't see another MacBook update for several months, and even if we do, it will be very minor.

The current MacBook is an excellent machine, I'd say pick one up. :cool:

13. grantwall macrumors newbie

Well, I know for sure I already am buying a Macbook Pro, the only thing I was curious about, is whether any updates are speculated (with reason) for just after the new year. Such as the new processors announced at Macworld in January?

Anyways, I suppose I will just get one now, as my old compaq laptop is now broken in every possible way. Hard drive fails weekly, heat syncs no longer work, etc...

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If it is any help, I am on my new SR MacBook right now and I am not having any problems.:D

15. gutefahrt macrumors member

I'm very happy with my SantaMac. No keyboard/freezing/sleeping/screen issues.

If anything, this model is probably the end of the line and will be replaced by something shiny and metallic. You'll likely see more bugs when the new one's released than this familiar form factor.

So Buy Now! Operators are standing by!

16. mpipolo macrumors newbie

17. babond thread starter macrumors member

yeah just scared to get a lemon macbook because ive had my ibook for 4years and it has been the best purchase ive ever made. it's never had any problems till a few days ago when it freezes after 2-10minutes of use. sucks because i planned on getting a macbook in the near future and giving this to my girlfriend but now i guess im getting a macbook and keeping this one in the box it came in.

also i really want to know.... how much of these problems do you think is software issues that can be fixed in updates? do you think any of these problems are the actual cpu?

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

don't be scared, if you do get a lemon you ll get a replacement or fixed one, i mean, being realistic, the chances of getting a lemon may be a little bit higher because its a new update but you can't tell me there is no chance of getting one if you buy something else,, specially electronics, this things happen...you will always be at risk of getting a lemon no matter what,

19. Tshapi macrumors regular

Rumor Realisms

IMO MB is not going anywhere, if the MB was obsolete, he wouldn't of given the MB Such a major Upgrade. It received a new platform can now handle 2x as much RAM and has a better graphics card.

If an Ultra Portable is destined to joing the MBP line, then it stands to reason that MBP, the whole line will be redesigned to welcome the new member and make the older members equally attractive.

The reason why I say this is because the MBP got the option to add 2.6 gzh and thats it. Thus candy for the kiddies for the holidays.

I am in the same boat as you, I am currently saving to buy a MB

I want a MBP 13" But that doesn't yet exist.

MB BUY NOW,

MBP BUY IN JANUARY.

20. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

Go for it! I just got one this week and I'm loving it!

21. effer macrumors member

The main spec lacking on the new MB is an LED backlit display. This would give a brighter screen with less weight, size, and power usage.

The main reason why you would hold off on the MBP is because it has been out so long without a refresh (excluding the 2.6ghz). Many people expect a radical design change.

On upcoming products, it's mostly predictable what Apple will use for internal core components (cpu, chipset, gpu, etc.) as there are only so many options out there, and all available to Apple's competitors.

For design however, Apple can really pull something out of their hat. However, being first onboard for any of their new stuff is rarely a good idea.
    Just read these forums after any product launch!

That said, buying a mature product usually means it has been refined through many small improvements in the manufacturing process.

22. nikiski macrumors regular

My thoughts on the matter are:

If you buy it when you need it, it's a good time.

23. michail macrumors member

This will never happen for a very simple reason. The macbook is the best selling computer made by apple and they will never drop a product like that, it is just too big business risk. The new ultra slim will probably be the replacement of the old 12'' powerbook, which many people are asking for.

24. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I just returned my Santa Rosa lemon. But guess what, I still say buy it. For the one day I used it, I was very pleased. Mind, it did have some sort of power management problem that resetting the PRAM and even the "last resort" SMC didn't solve - it wouldn't wake from sleep and the screen refused to be backlit 9 out of 10 times, and the camera would turn itself on at boot time.

But honestly, I didn't need to argue for them to send me a new one, even after I had been put on hold for an hour and forty minutes. I'm confident that this one won't be a lemon, as I can't see myself buying any other laptop other than a macbook. I can't afford the pro.

Go for it - it won't be updated for at least four months, and if then a minor speed bump. If you do have problems, make sure you demand a new one. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone not to settle for a repair on a new macbook.

Keeping my fingers crossed... :D