Is it a dumb idea to get the 5k iMac and run Windows on it 24/7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by azure247, Oct 19, 2014.

1. azure247 macrumors 6502

I am a Windows guy but I love the design and screen of the iMac. I feel it is reasonably priced for a gorgeous display. It would also look great on a desk mount. Since the 5k is priced only hundreds more for a slightly faster cpu, free SSD upgrade and better GPU, I feel the 5k is a better purchase. But will I be able to enjoy a 5k resolution in Windows 8? Is everything going to be either tiny or enlarged and super blurry?

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

No, I would imagine it would be an amazing Windows computer. You'd need to be running Windows 8 (or higher) and fiddle with the scaling, and it's possible that drivers might be tricky to get hold of for the first few weeks, but otherwise ok.

I know a few people who run the retina MBP exclusively under Windows. Silly things :)

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I think you will need the same magnifiying glass I use to enter the windows product key in retinas.

All the current Mac range run windows great, I have clients who boot almost exclusively windows and in the case of the new Mac Pro bootcamp converts from windows boxes.

I fully expect the bootcamp drivers to have issues at first, they always do!

4. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Windows setup doesn't, trust me :D

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It's a unique computer, so it may very well be a great option.

Windows scaling will let many apps look great. Other apps have their own custom scaling mechanisms and some of those are decent. Probably not all the apps you use will be optimal, but many are and there are more all the time.

Also, I'd wait for a few reviews that address Windows just to make sure there aren't any serious quirks or issues.

7. DerekS macrumors 6502

8. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Ironically, Apple makes some of the very best Windows computers :) I say GO FOR IT. Life is horribly short.

9. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Seconded, though earlier models are quite handicapped in performance with a standard windows install which needed some hacking for parity; the new range mostly, if not quite totally aren't.

10. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Honestly, I say no.

I have a 4k Monitor on Windows 8.1, and the scaling is bad. If all you're using are official windows apps, or maybe Metro, then yeah it should be ok.

11. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I would actually use Parallels. Seems to be more adaptable that Bootcamp, generally speaking. And with SSD and 32GB Ram and i7, it will be hyper fast :)

12. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

It should run fine. I would run it in a VM though, Boot Camp is too fiddly.

13. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

It's a dumb idea to run windows ever.

I kid. I don't see why it would though. If you value Mac build quality but need windows.

14. fratey macrumors regular

Why not? I run Windows half the time on my rMBP 15" because it's a great Excel machine.

15. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Should be really big its not because the lack of drivers.. Or does Bootcamp install the graphics drivers automatically

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's only 'dumb' if it's not worth it to you. if you find the value in the display and hardware available in the iMac in conjunction with Windows, then it's perfectly fine for you to do it.

It's only not worth it if the price is too much to use the computer and not do something to take advantage of the display it offers.

It's all up to you.

17. metanoiapi macrumors member

I don't think it will scale well with Win 8 on Bootcamp. I would agree that it's a better purchase, but then I'm biased.

Why not try OS X for awhile? You might be plensently surprised.

18. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Bootcamp auto installs the drivers post initial setup. Entering the product key in particular needs the magnifier by far the most but I am fortunate that I know what all the dialog boxes are! Post drivers its ok and even though you have an extra k of pixels the screen is 45% larger on this iMac