Is it a good deal - MP+ACD 2500?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diamond3, Jul 24, 2007.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Here's what it is. obviously there is somewhat of a discrepancy; 2nd hard drive but only says 750 gb hd. Possibly 250 + 500 or who knows, maybe a 750. Anyways, how great of a deal is this? What would its MR value/ebay value be?

Ad states:
    Super Fast Mac--like new. Paid over $4,100 about 6 months ago and added $700 for software & 2nd Hard Drive. Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors Wireless Keyboard/Mouse 750 Gig Hard drive Nvidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB single-link DVI/Dual-link DVI 16x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) 20" Apple Cinema Display Final Cut Express/Keynote/Garage Band/IDVD & more

2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Sounds a little too good. Is this from craigslist because it sounds like a scam unless you personally know who is selling it. Then it would be a good deal.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

It is not a good deal. It is a rip-off. It is a scam.

4. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure its legitimate. Its a local and it wasn't on Craigslist. Any guesses on what the expected price would be?

There are a few things like memory and exactly how much HD space is really on it. My guess is a price of around atleast 2700 on here, and probably well over 3000 on ebay?

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

IF it's legitimate then it IS a good deal. 2500 seems low to me. The ACD itself is 500 refurb... the computer more.

If you can get a look at the set up and see that it all works before you buy it and see the actual configuration then I'd say go for it. Also... if he just bought it 6 months ago, it would still have applecare. IF he can give you the actual serial numbers or something so you can check the apple care status on the site... then that would be much better to make sure its all good.

6. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well its got 2 gb of memory, 250 + 500 gb hard drive. What would anyone else expect to pay for a machine like this? How much would I save assuming ADC MP 2.66 ~2200 after taxes? I'm curious to see what you guys would pay for this machine if say it was a feeler? Anyways, it's hard knowing new mac pros are just around the corner.

7. newportmac macrumors member

Actually its an OK deal.. order online and get the student discount and you could buy a brand new Mac Pro 2.66 with 6% tax from Apple with a year warranty for 2260.93 when you discount the $200 for the nano they are giving you (RI they give you cash if you want instead of the ipod) . As for the display.. remove the apple name and the monitor is worth maybe 250-350 used.. You can buy a refurbished Dell 24" for 525 for god sakes.. You see HD 22" displays going for 275-320 all day long now.. so he figures 2100 for the box and 400 for the display and you have $2500.. Its an OK deal.. not anything to write home about.. WD or Segate drives 7500 are cheap cheap cheap.. He probably has an ADC discount and isnt loosing a dime.. Tell him you're not an Apple cool aid drinker and you'll give him 2100 CASH and then you got yourself a nice rig at a fair price.. Also see if there is bluetooth or wi fi built in..Remember.. Intel Q6600 chips are down to under $300.. Xeon's just dropped hundreds.. I know I'll get flamed for this one but Mac Pro's were sweet last year... but today its got a joke of a video card and ram is cheaper.. so you tell me who is putting the spare change in his pocket... its last years technology with still this years price tag...

Unless you know something I dont.. I havent heard anything solid about a new mac pro coming.. or even when an updated box is coming out..

8. gdesalvo@umail. macrumors member

Very true, same with the mac mini and iMac at the moment. I havent bought a mac recently because for the price they have been simply outdated, when they undergo a refresh then the macs are a deal for what you get...well not a deal but usually a well priced machine when compared to whats out there in the world price wise. I say don't buy and plunk some money out when they update these babies

9. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heres what i get for the cost:

MP (ADC) w/Bluetooth, wireless keyboard mouse 6.5% tax- ~$2204

$99 ADC Program purchase

500gb HD ~ $125

I'd add 2gb of memory for ~$180 (3gb total versus 2)

Total just for MP roughly 2600 w/out monitor, so say 2500 because I'll get my money back if I get Leopard from the ADC program. Then there is the 20 ACD on top of that.

edit: I couldn't see an available free ipod through the ADC store.

Now, here is the thing. If they update the new ones in a few months, they get the good deal because it only will cost them a little to upgrade. And if they go to all 8 cores I'll kick myself daily over that decision. Ah...the dilemma.