Is it a good idea to buy a MBP 13" now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BipolarNick, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BipolarNick macrumors newbie

I have to upgrade my macbook to a mbp for school as regards to my major requirement. Having said that, I was looking into getting a 13MBP and upping the ram up to 8. I was wondering if I should not get the 13" cause it doesn't have the i5 and i was wondering if they are going to add those into the 13" ones soon. I have been using my black 08' MB for video production and everything and have never had a problem. Even using CS4 AE and it works great. Do I need to get a i5 while im upgrading or are the 13'' mbp still seal the deal?

2. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

If you can afford it, check out the i5 with hires screen. Works great for video production and the extra screen res helps much! Maybe get a refurb from Apple direct to save a few extra bucks.

3. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

5. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

So my big question is? Would you give up the processing power for the i5? Cause I can get a kick ass 13'' without the i5 instead of spending all this money on a 15" for the i5 and less specks overall.

6. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

If you like the 13 inch form factor then go with the 13. The 320 video chip will be many times faster then what you have in your BlackBook. The CPU will also be a nice jump in performance for you. I would spend the extra cash on an SSD. The HDD always seems to be the bottle neck with Apple products since they somehow think it is acceptable to put 5400 RPM HDDs in "Pro Grade Laptops".

If you shop places like newegg, I have seen g.skill 4gb ram chips for 99 bux over the past week, although I think they are now sold out.

7. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a sold state drive compared to a regular drive. I never knew the difference.

8. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

A SSD has no moving parts. Imagine a hard drive made out of RAM chips. It is very fast and can withstand more bumping around since it has no disk platters and drive heads that move around. They are fairly new to the mainstream market (3 years) and are still more expensive then regular hard drives. Once you use one, you wont ever want to go back to a regular hard drive. :)

9. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

well there is a nice 2.53 15'' i5 50gb hdd refurbished that is 1700. you compare that to getting a 13'' 2.66 core 2 duo which would be around the same price with a 500bg hdd - I think this 15'' is a good buy.

What do you think?

10. hypermog macrumors regular

Wow, this thread has gone quite a ways without the OP stating what they are going to be doing with the laptop and why they need so much power.

11. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

maybe he is conning us?!?!? :eek:

12. Trygil macrumors newbie

My question would then be, why do you need to upgrade?

13. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

Because my mac is a macbook, and the computer requirement for my major at the university of cincinnati is a macbook pro. Sounds stupid, but it is true.