Is it a good idea to buy MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by verticalforce, Sep 15, 2007.

  1. verticalforce macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2007
    #1
    With leopard release imminent, is it a good idea to buy the MBP now? (well, not exactly now but on the 27th sept). I would have try to wait more but desperately needs a laptop on that date and I wonder if Apple will offer a free upgrade to Leopard to new buyers?

    Btw, how much does a retail copy of Leopard costs? (In GBP if possible)

    Thanks
     
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #2
    If you desperately need a MBP on that date, then you'll just have to get one. Only wait if you can afford to wait.

    If Leopard is released within 14 days (I think) of that date then you might get a rebate on Leopard... I expect it to be around the £70-80 mark or so; can't remember how much I paid for Tiger.
     
  3. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #3
    In terms of hardware, there isn't much coming in the pipe anytime soon. Maybe a minor speed bump. It's a great time to buy a MBP, and with this silly system disks that come with Macs, I look forward to owning a copy of Leopard. When the disc goes south, I can just take it to my Apple Store and get another one.
     
  4. verticalforce thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2007
    #4
    I better damn hope Leopard will be released on 10th Oct or earlier then, for a student like me 70-80 quids is a lot of money...
     
  5. bananas macrumors 6502

    bananas

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #5
    I think 30th or 31st of october is more likely.
     
  6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

    bmcgrath

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom
    #6
    Just buy it now :) You know you want too! And as for Leopard... Should you wait a while anyway just to see if there are any problems, bugs with it?
     
  7. Eallan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #7
    I just bought mine. I want to get used to OSX Tiger before leopard comes out.

    I'd go ahead and get one :)
     
  8. bwv1013 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #8
    i didn't wait and i don't regret it at all. the productivity i'm achieving is worth way more then the 70 bucks i would have "saved" had i waited for the next kitty.
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    This is insightful. The point isn't Leopard, it is a faster & better machine. Tiger functions as well, if not better, than the 1st version of Leopard will. I think it is worth just buying right now.
     
  10. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    Location:
    Hove, South East England
    #10
    well, im in the same boat as you my friend.

    University in 6 day time and want a new laptop. called applestore for the 16% HE discount and they told me 3-4 week ship time for MBP.

    you could go to an Apple Premium Reseller and pick one up, but chances are u will only get a 5% discount and no free iPod.

    Paris expo on the 25th i think. If they announce the release date for Leopard then, then you can buy the laptop, and get a mail in rebate for the full cost when you buy Leopard if you can prove that you bought it after the release date was announced.

    It will be £89 im thinking, but that is subject to change, obv.

    To summarise, if you want a free iPod (or £85 off an iPod) and the 16% discount for the MBP, ur gonna be looking at 3 weeks regardless. I REALLY think its worth the wait, atleast till Paris Expo....
     
  11. paola105 macrumors 6502

    paola105

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #11
    I'm getting mine on the 26th. A day before my birthday. :)
    I don't even care about Leopard anymore. I can always get it later with a student discount.
     
  12. Exodemia macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #12
    So you have to wait 3-4 weeks for MBP if you order it? That's terrible!
     
  13. M!K macrumors regular

    M!K

    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    i would suggest you buy the MacBook Pro as soon as you can. It's such a powerful machine. And not to mention, beautiful!
    I received mine last week and it' definitely the best computer i've ever had.
    I love it!!!:D

    And about Leopard, it won't be very expensive and so you may not wait for it to come out to buy your MBP. I'm a student too and i wondered the same thing before buying mine... but i just couldn't wait any longer.
     
  14. spamfiltre macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    #14
    macbook upgrade vs. MBP now

    So here is my dilemma. I'm a PC user looking to switch to Mac because of the trainwreck that is Vista. I've done some research, and it looks like a macbook will do almost everything I need. Macbooks are already quite powerful when you look at the needs of modern applications (other than gaming), so the only thing I really need in MBP is the expresscard slot for an external video card. that means I'm looking at a $900 surcharge for an expresscard slot.
    Portability is key, so macbook +desktop gaming pc isn't an option.

    What is the likelihood of an expresscard slot in a macbook any time soon?
     
  15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
    #15
    Amazon has release date of Oct 31st.........
     

Share This Page