Is it a good idea to get Apple Care for iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hajime, Jul 23, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. As some MacBook Pros often fail and it is expensive to replace some parts, it is a good idea to buy Apple Care for the MBPs . How about the iPod Touch? Is it worth to buy it? I am considering. I got the Fall 2009 64GB model. Thanks.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

no, not worth it. if the touch breaks, the damage will be caused by people. not by manufacturing. apple care doesn't apply to accidental damage.

3. celticpride678

Fore me, it's come in useful. My iPod touch stopped working a few weeks after the initial one year AppleCare expired and Apple replaced it because I bought the extended AppleCare.

If you're careful with it, not worth it. If you have any doubts, get it (it's always good to have that extra protection)

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It just matters how you treat it. If there are some manufacturing problems then they should be in the first year. I suggest getting a case though.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would not only because of the water sensor in the Touch. If it had triggered (many people have posted that their's triggered even though they didn't have it in water), good luck getting Apple to cover your touch under Applecare.

6. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

With the iPod being a very personal device something you carry around with you, its more than likely if an issue was to go wrong with it, the problem is more than likely to be caused by personal damage or accidental damage such as a broken sceen etc. Its unlikely that some error has been made during manufacturing but saying that its not impossible, however the odds are unlikely that it will fail. My 1st Generation is still running great from the day it was released as well as my Second Generation. The only problem being a broken screen which was my error on the second generation, however it still functions.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't cover accidental damage on their extended Apple Care services, therefore a personal damage would not be covered only those that can be argued to be a result of Apples manufacturing process or design process, which is again unlikely. Therefore i wouldn't recommend you get such package, i believe it probably to be a more reasonable purchase for device such as Mac instead of an iPod,iPhone or even iPad.

Hope that helps in some way and i hope you manage to save some cash on something which isnt really necessary ;)

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

...grammar...

There's no icon for my head exploding :(

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I wish I had gotten it for my wife's iPod touch. She takes (took) great care of hers- was always careful, never dropped, always stored in her pouch in her purse. HOwever, 3 months after the 1 year ran out it just flat out died. Nothing seemed to have caused it and I can't restore. It was actually our second one- her first one was exchanged after 4 months for horrible battery life. So this replacement one was only about 11 months old- but because they go by the original purchase date for warranty they would not replace it. Bummer.

That being said, statistically you are better off NOT buying the warranty- Statistically there is a reason they can sell you the warranty and make money (that is really the only reason they sell them!) Since most faulty iPods are user caused they don't have to pay up much- some are not, but most are.

9. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

For me the $60 AppleCare would've been worth it, saving me like $300 over the past 2 years. My AppleCare for my iMac has already paid for itself about 11 times over =P

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i don't if its a good or bad thing you actually needed apple care 11 times. Talk about a lack of quality control on apple's part.

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. So, what are the common problems encountered after the 1 year warranty? How much does it cost to fix those problems? I suppose sonner or later one needs to change the battery. How often do we need to send the iPodTouch to Apple to exchange the battery? If it is within 2 years of use and AppleCare covers it, then it may be worth. Another potential problem may be a broken screen. For the MBP 17", without warranty it would cost about $1K for Apple to replace it. What about the iPodTouch?

12. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i have an ipod touhc 2g from when apple first released it. and i still haven't sent it in for battery replacement. still works like a champ. and apple doesn't cover broken screens as that is accidental.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well. After reading alot of these posts i suggest getting a warranty. Although not AppleCare. I would suggest Squaretrade.

14. boczkowski macrumors newbie

Are there any other providers like Squaretrade out there?

I'm in the UK and ST don't stretch across the water it seems :(

I bought my first Apple product three weeks ago and am wondering about Applecare.

I bought a refurbed 64gb ipod touch by the way and was considering AppleCare after an horrendous experience with palm and a brand new TX I got in 2006 - I think I exchanged/repaired the bleeder 6 times. I gave up in the end.

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont think so.... I guess AppleCare is your only choice... :(

16. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

If I was going to get a warranty I would get Squaretrade, its often cheaper than retail warranties and retailers always put a clause in their warranties saying that they can refuse repair or replacement for any reason (so if the manager is having a bad day or has too many warranty returns, you won't get your replacement). Plus they have accidental damage coverage. There is just so much fine print on these warranties that its way too easy for them to point to a clause that you won't even know what it means and then they will deny you. I really don't want to be dealing with a warranty replacement in person (applecare or a retailer) because there is almost a 100% chance that I will be refused that replacement if buying a warranty from a retailer. Plus if Squaretrade does you wrong you can complain on a site like epinions and they will resolve your problem.

For the iPod touch though I wouldn't worry too much because if you are getting the 8GB its pretty cheap and if you broke the device you can probably get the same amount back minus the warranty costs if you sell your iPod touch on ebay as broken especially if its a broken screen. Then put the money you get from ebay towards a brand new device, no having to deal with repairs or dealing with scammy warranty companies or retailers who intend to scam you with their warranties.

17. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

18. tucker61 macrumors regular

I have always bought applcare for our iPods and they are worth it.
    My first had a blank screen, was replaced twice

Someone on eBay is selling for Approximate £22.00. Go buy it.