Is it a good idea to have dash cam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Jun 11, 2017.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

In North America, is it a good idea to have a dash cam?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I think so. I got attacked by some idiot the other week suffering from a bit of road rage. I wish I'd had a dash cam installed as I didn't get his number.
    I'm currently looking at the options of which one to buy.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I think it's starting to be more important to have one. If I'd had one a couple months ago I could have provided evidence from a wreck my parents were in (unusual circumstance led us to be in the same place at the moment it happened), though that turned out fine anyway.

If not for evidence in wrecks but for the comedy factor - I once watched someone stop in a round-about and BACK UP because they missed the turn they wanted, rather than just going around again, would have LOVED to have had that one on video.

Every time I see one pop up on neweggflash.com I consider grabbing it.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

There are more crazy drivers these days than 20 years ago. I heard that some drivers did not have proper trainings but they got the chance to take the driver test few months earlier than they were supposed to because their driving schools found a loophole in the system. Even they failed the test, they could try again soon until they passed.

5. Zenithal Suspended

Definitely. Even if you live in a very classy area and stick to driving around in it. Some people have their off days. And if you don't encounter issues, you can relive beautiful drives in the country or mountains.

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

If you drive a lot, it's definitely a worthwhile investment. I've recently had two very close calls, with one case where only my alertness and instant emergency braking saved me from a front-end 'redesign' due to a sudden point-blank 3-lane-changer, and I'm currently checking out the surprisingly many available options.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I already have a radar detector, so I guess I could invest in a dash-cam. Not because I think a police officer is going to shoot me in my car (I'm too Teutonic for that), but it could be useful for potential road rage incidents or collisions.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

That's my problem. So many different options and I can't find two review sites that agree!

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

What dashcam brands do you guys have and recommend? I've thought about getting one, too.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I bought the Garmin Dash Cam 35. Haven't used it yet. I heard that the 65W has wider angle.

Is it true that it is better to stay away from the SanDisk's Ultra series and get the more expensive Transcend High Endurance card? Several sites have mentioned that the Ultra series is not designed to have writing all the time and the company does not warranty if it is used with Dash Cam.

11. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm close to getting one myself.

I'd go with a known brand who makes other car gadgets and electronics. I don't have much more to say than that.

12. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I have a Spytech G1W-C in both of my vehicles. My truck which is my daily driver has a 64GB card installed in it and my Mustang has a 32GB card in it. Both are hardwired and mounted on the rear view mirror stem. I have not needed to pull video for any reason yet, but definitely a good investment to have to CYA if something does happen. I have been screwed in the past when it's a he said/she said argument on who's fault it was and the insurance companies just ruled it as a no fault and both parties had to take care of their own vehicles. Video doesn't lie.

13. mcclorryevan macrumors newbie

mcclorryevan

after starting to drive more than 200 KM a day, (120 Miles) I figured I would get one about a year ago. I got a BlackVue DR650W - 2CH with the battery pack for unattended recording. On many occasions this has been a solid investment (even though it was a big purchase at around 450 CND after install and taxes). I have called out repair shops on work they say they did when they didn't, and had video proof. I have had many near misses on the highways, and its just a general all around good feeling to know something has got your back. Since mine tracks location if you choose locally, and monitors speed within a 3KM/hr window, I can think of countless possibilities where this little product can really protect you. If you want to see some footage, I have an Instagram account for it - @myblackboxedcar

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

What micro sdcard are you guys using? The transcend high endurance is much more expensive than the Sandisk ultra.

15. mcclorryevan macrumors newbie

mcclorryevan

I’m using lexar card. You want to get one that is slightly slower than the 90 mbs ones as they generate a lot of heat

16. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure mine are both Sandisk Ultra's. I would have to double check

17. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

18. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

This is an interesting point, the recording quality will dictate the quality of the card, you want a card that will keep up with the camera as there likely isn't a buffer, or if there is one it won't be very big.

19. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, Garmin tech support recommended me to get a class 10 card.