Is it a good idea to update to the GM build now?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by WhackyNinja, Jul 9, 2012.

  1. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #1
    The GM build came out. And I was just wondering? Do you guys think it will be a good idea to FULLY upgrade to ML before the General Release. Or play it safe and just dual boot it. :apple:
     
  2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #2
    I don't think a GM has ever not been the final release (on iOS, there was an update for a GM due to a Wifi bug, but nothing for OS X.) You are probably safe, but back up as always.
     
  3. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #3
    Do I need to install OS X Mountain Lion retail when it comes out to get updates or something?
     
  4. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

    jnl1211

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    Location:
    NWIndiana
    #4
    GM is pretty much the same as release. I ran GM Lion till 10.7.1 or whatever the first update was.
     
  5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

    Michael Goff

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    #5
    So there's no downside?

    I'm just being really paranoid on the off chance that something could go wrong with my new MBA.
     
  6. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #6
    Same here with my pro. ESPECIALLY during installation.
     
  7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

    Michael Goff

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    #7
    I'm really wanting ML, but if it would be way safer to wait for the MAS to have it, the I'll wait. They already got paid for my copy anyway. ;)
     
  8. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #8
    Since you probably already have 2 partitions, I would at least initially dual boot it to make sure there are no issues. After all one of the things that this release is for is too make sure there are no issues that appear with it.

    Having said that, once you have a million or more people install it when it's released, there will be all sorts of issues appearing.
     
  9. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

    PurrBall

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #9
    GM IS the same as the release, providing there are no show-stopper bugs found. So you could wait the few weeks until release to be sure it's all good, or you could install it now and chances are it will be the same as the released version.
     
  10. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #10
    I don't have two partitions. Im just saying I can make one and dual boot it. But idk since Im not a developer Im not sure to go ahead (since its the FINAL build) or wait 2 agonizing weeks and get it
     
  11. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #11
    If you're not a developer, you should wait until you can legally get a copy.
     
  12. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #12
    ......D'awww hmm. Oh well. Im gonna wait....2....agonizing....weeks D: But Im starting to back up my stuff so once it comes out....I'll be ready
     
  13. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #13
    I'm not but I bought a new MBA so I'm entitled to a free copy of Mountain Lion so I'll be installing it once imzdl upload it.
     
  14. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

    jnl1211

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    Location:
    NWIndiana
    #14
    As a few people pointed out last year with Lion release the build number was different by a couple digits. I know when going to App Store it said "Installed" after Lion's release, but I always ran GM just fine.
     
  15. pirateyarrr macrumors regular

    pirateyarrr

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    #15
    I always install the GM on my secondary Mac (a laptop) but in the years I've been doing this, the build # of the GM has always, in my memory, matched the build of the retail version that I install on my main desktop. Updates have never been a problem. Go for it.
     
  16. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #16
    Eh Im gonna go for it. Im probably gonna end up buying OS X ML when it comes out but Im not gonna install it. Im just gonna buy it...kinda like an IOU for Apple
     
  17. jnl1211, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012

    jnl1211 macrumors 6502

    jnl1211

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    Location:
    NWIndiana
    #17
    Yeah, cause I'd hate to cheat a multibillion dollar company out of $30
     
  18. aristobrat, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012

    aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #18
    $19.99, fwiw.
     
  19. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

    jnl1211

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    Location:
    NWIndiana
    #19
    Oh that's right!
     
  20. SR71 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #20
    I too bought one of the newly released MBP's and really wanted ML. As soon as I heard that the GM was released I promptly downloaded it and its running great so far. Stable and running buttery smooth so far. Go for it, guys (and gals).
     
  21. arashb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    #21
    I'm on ML GM build right now, completely deleted my Lion. Always have done so with every GM release and I've never regretted it.
     
  22. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #22
    I bought a Retina MBP so I have a free copy coming.

    I'm a little afraid of installing the GM, with the 1% off-chance that something goes wrong and the final version has a different build number.

    If I install the GM, and there is a problem, the App Store will most likely not allow me to install my free copy over it.
     
  23. pdjudd macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Plymouth, MN
    #23
    Yea, that excuse can apply to any form of theft to any company! They are rich, they will never mind!
     
  24. arashb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    #24
    If that happens, in the unlikely even, you can always reinstall Lion and then install ML again :p.
     
  25. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #25
    Oh what fun.

    Thanks for that brilliant idea :)
     

Share This Page