Is it a good moment to buy a MacBook Pro now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ononimus, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ononimus macrumors newbie

I am planning to buy a new MacBook Pro but have been reading about new processors, optimizations and desings for this model. To be honest I am feeling quite dizzy at the moment and don't know what to do? Is it worth it wait and buy it after Christmars or should I buy it now?
    What do you guys think?

2. patrickw59 macrumors newbie

I am reading a lot and it would seem that a new ultra-portable will be announced mid-january.

The new Penruyn processors are expected much later in 2008. They will be used in the MacBook PRO portables.
    My personal conclusion is that you will have to wait quite some time to get a major upgrade to this products.

3. kylep6190 macrumors member

Read all of the other threads. If you need it now, then by all means get it, it is still a great computer. But if you can wait a little wait unit January 15th which is Macworld (a big mac conference). If they don't introduce a new MBP by then, then I would say just buy it anyways because it will most likely be a few more months until the update. But if you can wait till January, I would do it.

4. ononimus thread starter macrumors newbie

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

It's never a good time to buy an Apple product. There is always something better in the pipeline, and the second something new is released it's already aging hardware. Sorry!

6. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I've come full circle on this...

For some time I had been ready to buy a new MBP to replace my 2 1/2 yr old 12" PowerBook. But because they hadn't been updated in a while and because my need was not really that urgent I was sort of waiting for the next update.

Oct. 31 they announced the availability of the 2.6 chips and the 200Gb HDD, so I took the plunge. I know that there is always something new around the corner, but figured that this is going to be one powerful machine. It will serve me well until there's something else that I just "have to have", at which point it will have very good resale value.

After 3 weeks of waiting I just cancelled the order. It's only 7 weeks until MacWorld, at which time it now seems quite likely they'll announce Penryn MBP's. This will not be an earth shattering upgrade, but it will be a genuine "update". I can certainly get by with my old 12" PowerBook for another couple of months. Of course the BIG update will be this Summer when they go to the new chipset. By that time I will have been enjoying my Penryn MBP for around 6 months already. I'll give Apple some time to work out bugs before I even consider putting my Penryn MBP on ebay and going for the latest "latest & greatest".

It never ends, but that's part of what makes it so much fun!

7. kingtj macrumors 68020

<shrug> Best to buy when you *need* to buy....

It's easy to get all worked up over rumors of the "next big update" coming along.... But ultimately, whatever you buy computer-wise, you'll spend at least 80% of its life using it while it's technically "outdated".

The REAL question is always, "Does model X offer the features and benefits I need to accomplish the tasks I'm buying it for?"

Honestly, the rest will sort itself out anyway. EG. If you're a "power user", doing things with your Mac that earn you real, measurable income - then anything you buy will pay for itself quickly anyway. By the time you've owned it a year or so and start feeling like something "newer" would serve you better, you can easily justify selling it off, and putting that money toward a purchase of whatever the "latest and greatest" Mac is at that moment. If you're a more "casual" home user, your need for the "latest, most powerful" thing isn't likely that realistic anyway.... You can probably buy a used, "last generation" iMac, and get a good 3 years of solid, productive use out of it. So anything "brand new" is more than good enough, if you learn to ignore the hype over the shiny new stuff.