Is it a good time to buy a MacBook Pro now?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greylee, Aug 12, 2010.

1. greylee macrumors member

OK I am sooo SICK of PC now. I have to get a new laptop. but the MacBook Pro is in its mid cycle now, so I am sure should I wait til the new one? or I can just get one now? and when is the new macbook pro coming out?
    Im just really...idk
    what you guys think? should I buy one now?> or wait til the new one/?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't bother waiting. You'll wait too long for a lackluster update, most likely just a speed bump. That really isn't worth waiting for, and the current line is quite good.

3. ccashman92 macrumors regular

If you wait you may only get a SMALL speed bump.

4. killer bear macrumors newbie

buy now or wait till the new year for update, quad core model may be available next year but may be very expensive.

5. ccashman92 macrumors regular

This guy clearly has no idea what he is talking about. Quad-core would be WAY to hot. And the earliest they will release a refresh is March, not New Year.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Chill, dude. QC wouldn't necessarily be too hot, although it would be power hungry. It may not be likely, especially not with the next revision, however it's not like it's totally out of the question.

Also, they will likely release new ones before march, as the average product cycle is 10 months or so, putting the next date in February. Also, there is likely a minor update coming later this year with slightly faster i7s.

7. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I am chill? haha. Anyway, if you have ever owned a desktop with Quad-core they are like heaters, I have two. I do agree that the main reason would be power consumption.

And you obviously only get your info from other posters here since you think they are gonna add slightly faster i7's. Apple isn't gonna change processors this fast. If you actually do your research on Apple behavior you would realize all this.

8. ceshimm macrumors member

all depend on how long you can wait. if 6-8 months is fine and you won't miss it , than i will say wait. next update might be sandy bridge (with better GPU? not sure). have better performance than current model. if can't wait that long or need a laptop now, than go for it. every time you purchase a new laptop, newer one is less than one year to go. so...do not wait forever. i just order mine online yesterday, cos i need a laptop now and can not wait.

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

If its not a problem to wait 8 months, you will never get a MacBook Pro, since the line gets updated 1 or 2 times per year, therefore you could always "wait" until the next upgrade. If you need a new laptop, buy one now. The timing may not be perfect, but it sure is good enough.

10. MrCooperS macrumors member

11. hectrobeing macrumors newbie

hectrobeing

I second that!

I waited for months until I got mine, then I waited some more until it arrived in the Refurb store. Apple is doing some good deals now too, but 'generally' they update with a speed bump after iPod events and education iPod deals end.

Don't wait for the lastest and greatest in the next two years they will release intel (i) processor across the board and thats when Apple expect consumers to upgrade anyway!

Enjoy your new MacBook Pro

12. maviso5 macrumors regular

Take a look at the buyers guide too, always a good indicator

13. greylee thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!!
    I do think I will buy the macbook pro. I mean there is always a newer one. so if I really want to wait it will be forever. Plus I am soo sooo hating my PC now. don't why I picked PC..... totally doing the switch.
    and the whole thing started with my couldn't start my PC two nights ago. I was freaking out coz my whole life is in my laptop. Anyway, totally ordering it with my student discount for the new semester! cheers!

14. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha good luck, and make sure you have an external disk and run time machine!!! it will save your life some day!!! it did mine =D

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah get it now.

Then when they are updated if you really feel the need to have a latest one sell your current MBP and put the money towards the new one.

16. greylee thread starter macrumors member

I always have an external hard drive. but what's the time machine? is it a automatic back up program thingy?

17. greylee thread starter macrumors member

I DID it!!!
    i just ordered my MacBook Pro! Im very proudly announcing I am A Mac!! :D

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats!

19. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54