Is it a good time to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I'd like to get a 13 inch MacBook Pro, with the educational discount, I'd be looking at an investment of about $1200 and for that kind of money, I'd like to keep my laptop current. The only problem is that Intel's 4th gen processors are coming out soon, and July isn't too far away so I don't mind waiting.

My question is:

1. Will the current gen (2012) 13" be any different to the next gen (2013) 13"?
    2. Do you think the 2013 13" will be user upgradeable?
    3. If the next gen turns out to not be user upgradeable, would the current gen be discounted (if any models are still in store) and will it have enough power to run Logic Pro, 3Ds Max, Adobe CS6 Suite?

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Of course. Even if it's not a major update for their next generation, it's labeled next generation for a reason. There will at least be *some* update.

That's hard to say. If they upgrade their entire line to Retina, probably not (as the current Retinas are not user upgradeable). Unless they decide to go back to user upgradeable in their Retina line, which is not likely. Keep in mind however, that they could (don't take my word on it) make ALL their future MacBook Pro products non-user upgradeable, too.

The current gen will most likely be discounted, as there is almost always refurbs in the Apple Store. Regarding the part about power: Absolutely. The current gens are *very* nice and powerful (depending on which current gen you are referring too). With regards to processing power and ram, the 13" is excellent. However, the 15" with a dedicated GPU is where the graphics power is it. I'm not sure how complicated your projects/needs are in 3Ds Max, but a dedicated GPU is going to greatly improve performance in any grapichs/3d rendering area (such as video games, too). But both the 13" and 15" will have enough processing power and RAM capacity to fulfill your needs.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you do wait, wait for tax free weekend...usualy at the end of summer. Between Ed discount and no sales tax, you could purchase more computer for the money.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I wouldn't be surprised to see the classic 13" MacBook Pro last another cycle. Not everyone can afford a $1699 Retina MacBook Pro, and the 13" MacBook Pro is supposedly still Apple's best selling model. The 15" classic is probably more likely to be dropped in 2013.

In any case, Haswell will bring better GPU performance and better battery life. If the classic remains, you'll get those benefits. If not, then there will still be some clearance and refurbished models for a while. If you don't need it, it might be worth waiting 6 months. However, if you need a new one now because your old one is inadequate, I would get one and not worry too much about it. Haswell will be better, but still just incrementally better. Consider a refurbished model, as those are sold for less than the educational price.