Is it a good time to buy a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreenStripe, Jan 14, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

Are any huge updates coming to the line in the near future?

I hear everything is going to be upped to 62bit... Is that actually going to happen, or...?

2. erikislame macrumors newbie

I think you mean 64 bit-- and no, no crazy changes to the current MacBook HW coming anytime soon.

Now is a GREAT time to buy a Macbook!

3. isaki87 macrumors regular

Considering that the MacBook/MacBook Pro line was just refreshed in October, I don't see anything big on the horizon, or at WWDC, however I think if anything gets refreshed, my money would be on the iMacs and mac mini's. I thought they were gonna get refreshed at MacWorld, but I guess, they're still being worked on. At least, that is what I am told, by a family member who works on the design team. Just keep one thing in mind, you cant sit and wait on technology, as it is always going under some sort of change, it will always leave you saying: "I should've waited."

Best time to buy is now, and take advantage of whatever discount you can get.

4. aedraste macrumors member

Yes. It's a great time to buy a MacBook!

Also, you may want to check out the replies to a similar thread recently posted here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=632424.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

WRONG. Snow Leopard is due soon. I would also wait for iLife 09 to be pre-installed on all new Macs so you don't have to pay the $9.95 upgrade fee. If I were buying a MacBook (I plan on purchasing a MBP actually) I would at leats wait for iLife 09 which is maybe a week or two.

6. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

As you can see 2.66 is replacing 2.53 with the same 6Mb cache, then 2.4 > 2.53 (3Mb), and 2.0 (which had to be 2.26 BTW) going to become 2.4.
    That's at least what Intel is doing (Introducing new top CPUs & dropping previous in price brakets - Announced Dec 30'08).
    Now of course it's for Apple to pass this new tech (or savings if they decide to keep old ones (yeah, that's definitely NOT going to happen)) to users ....

But at least we have one good thing - quick passing away of older parts by Intel - they simply not supply them in quantities :D
    So Apple at least [usually] forced to adopt updated CPUs. (all going for the same prices as they were in October'08)

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

8. deanmadoo macrumors member

Ahhh whats gonna happen on that day!!!:D

9. svndmvn Guest

Apple usually updates stuff on Tuesdays.
    Anyway, I was checking what Intel's up to and it's pretty definite Apple will have to speed bump and probably do something else as well to the Macbook line in the second Quarter, which I suppose ends with June. With the 6 month cycle thing in mind I say April 15th is more like it..I don't know if it's worth waiting. I hope we get 6MB of Cache as well..

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Absolutely nothing hardware-wise.

Yeah, six months... There will be a spec bump by then.

I just noticed the irony in your name. Cool. :p