Is it a good time to buy an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anti-microsoft, Dec 23, 2008.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Hey everyone,

I have a 5 year old JVC SD TV (It doesn't even have Component connectors only Composite and SCART). It's starting to behave weirdly and the picture isn't that great... Since DVB is being born and the HD format is in it's early years is it a good time to buy an HD TV?

Thanks,

Ams.

PS: I know this thread doesn't correspond to this section of the forums strictly speaking.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yes. I would recommend you go LCD and not Plasma. I have a Plasma but I think LCD technology has moved infront of plasma. Also my Plasma has one pixel that wont stop flashing red and the right side of the screen more often than not casts a blue haze on highlights in that part of the screen. I think its something to do with that side being near a radiator and the heat is doing something to the gas in the cells but I can't put the TV anywhere else because its so friggin big. :D

3. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah LCD is the way to go. Thanks guys!

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

5. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean- while HDTV is definitely an improvement it still seems underwhelming to me.. I'm sure there's much more that can be done (and will be done) with the technology, but in it's current state I really don't consider it a "must have".. Don't get me wrong, we have 3 HDTV set-ups in our house so I'm not saying that to justify me not purchasing one- I've taken the HDTV plunge and my opinion is, "ehhh, it's OK-nothing spectacular"..

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It was a while ago when I bought my Plasma TV and at the time Plasma had the edge. Now I think LCD has pulled in front and will continue to do so. In the next few years LED (not LCD) TVs will become more and more common, and this will be the future I think, much like the may of the computer monitor.

8. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

ive also seen a drastic drop in many HDTV prices!
    great deals out there the end of this year.
    and if youve got the tech (bluray, ps3 or xbox360, appleTV) you will be so impressed on whats on the HD side of life.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Not so much on the AppleTV side of things though. Its a complete pain in the arse getting HD on mine. :( Infact its getting too much of an 'arse' to put anyhing on it I am actually considering a BD player. And I am/was a big ATV fan. Anyhoo I'm digressing, yes there are great deals out there!

10. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

When you say "...pulled in front," what specifically are you referring to?
    Everything I've read in the last 6 months makes it seem that LCD vs. plasma is largely dependent on what the viewing conditions are, along with screen size issues.

From what I've read, plasma is felt to have "purer" blacks & better color representation, though the newest 120Hz LCDs are coming close.

I have not heard much about LED TVs and am interested to see where that goes...

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I would say yes as well. Some of the low prices on LCD's are amazing out there. One has to wonder if the "floor" has been reached at these prices, where companies just can not make any money at lower prices. This will mean they will have to add features, new technologies from here on out.

12. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I'd recommend waiting it out for a couple of years and buying an OLED HDTV. :cool:

If you really want an HDTV now, then of course, LCD makes better sense than plasma (cost, power consumption, etc.).

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I mean what wiseguy27 said. Not so much the technology but the benefits of the technology of LCD over Plasma (particularly cost). Also Plasma TVs are much more fragile (and heavier) than LCDs.

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Totally. Like I said I bought Plasma and I am more than happy with it but if I was buying now I would go LCD personally.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

HD is not in early days, it was in Japan years before anyone else got it, so it's had time to improve before we got our mitts on it.

I would say to get a LCD HD TV now, especially since the prices are so low at the moment.

16. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Wait

I would wait till after christmas if you are willing, or even as far as mid-2009.

17. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Why?

18. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I would say if you really need the TV now, go ahead & get it. There are numerous high-quality options out there for reasonable prices. However, if you can wait, then of course, something new & exciting will be right around the corner.

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Something new and exciting is always around the corner. I pulled the trigger on a killer deal on another new Samsung 52" LCD for $1400 a couple weeks ago and haven't seen anything to beat it since. Now is as good a time as any, and if I were going to wait, it would be until after Xmas, which is tomorrow, especially considering the underperformance that retailers had this year and see what kind of deals are the post-Xmas ads...

And as far as LCD vs. Plasma, this is beating a dead horse with a stick. From someone who stares at HD footage all day, Plasma vs. LCD is negligible unless they're sitting next to each other and you're comparing the same image. LCDs are better in brightly lit rooms and if you're not looking for the slower response time in action sequences and they're more energy efficient. Plasma are better for "home theater" environment where you have full control over your lighting, deeper blacks along with better gradients, and faster response times in action sequences for a smoother picture. Most people would do best to go with LCD, I did for my current place, but the place I'm buying allows me full control over my lighting in my theater room, so I'll be getting a larger plasma for that. But that's how I made the call.