is it a good time to buy Apple keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by renshao, Dec 9, 2009.

1. renshao macrumors newbie

I wanted to buy an apple keyboard (with extended numeric key). It's AU$69 here in Australia.

Does any one know when the current model was released?
    How often(roughly) does Apple update keyboards and mice?
    and finally, any recommended cheap online store to buy mac accessories?

Thanks a lot.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They don't update them that often, wouldn't see why not. If you like the style then go for it.

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

It's as good a time as any. They rarely update the keyboard. Not counting the bluetooth version I think there have been 3 different USB keyboards in the last 10 years.

4. renshao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, any recommended online store for buying this keyboard?

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

eh... Apple?:rolleyes::apple::rolleyes:
    After all, you are talking about an Apple keyboard.
    As a matter of personal taste, I really like the present extended wired keyboard, but find the smaller one hard to use (lack of delete backspace, key arrangement, etc.). Haven't tried the bluetooth one. I recommend you try these at an Apple store, or a reseller oulet, 'cause keyboards are a very personal thing.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

you will probably have a hard time finding it anywhere cheaper than just going through apple, if you live near a best buy just go pick one up there.

7. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

I would get the current extended keyboard. Out of all the Apple keyboards, from the clunky one with the Macintosh Plus through to this one with current models, the current one is my favorite, actually. The mouse has just been updated (the Magic Mouse). I find it only okay. The no rollerball is a great concept, but on some websites it is too sensitive (esp. google maps). Also, I've found some incompatibilities with selecting text on MS Word from time to time (although, incompatibility with an MS product could be expected...)

8. mac44 macrumors member

Keyboard

I have the new Apple extended keyboard and the new wireless keyboard without the number pad. Comparing the two, the extended one looks ridiculous, it takes up too much room. Unless you are doing accounting, I would choose the smaller keyboard. People do not complain about the keyboard on the MacBook Pro being inadequate, so why would anyone want to buy the extended keyboard? It's a no brainer for me.

9. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I'm glad Apple offers a choice here, because I love the keypad and am by no means an accountant. Personal preference here, and for once, Apple allows you to choose your keyboard (wired keypad, wired no keypad, and wireless no keypad)
    That said, I wish they would make a version with black keys, since the white is throwing off my whole setup ;)

10. MacOSXGamer123 macrumors newbie

with keyboards, always choose what is comfiest, as for tech I don't think keyboards can really get more advanced then wireless [​IMG] so apple won't be bringing out an updates soon, they never really do bring out updates for peripherals, saying that the mighty mouse was replaced with magic one

11. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

I say go for it! im thinking of dropping the keyboard with the numpad on and getting the new wireless keyboard to go with my magic mouse (which i cant open until christmas day) god damn wife!!!!!

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

And the new wireless keyboard only uses 2 rather than 3 batteries.

13. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

Even more reason to get one! :( recession. baby on the way.. chance of job going down the pan! why do apple release goodies when i cant have them!