Is it a good time to buy Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grillz, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Grillz macrumors newbie

I really need a new Mac, and want the macbook pro 13" laptop. On the Mac rumour homepage it says the pro is in a mid cycle and neutral whether to buy now as a new model may come out next year. Is it silly to buy one now or will it not really make any difference as, will the next pro be pretty much the same but look cooler?

2. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

Its ok to buy right now but next year i think there will be a big change in the way it looks as apos to the hardwear junps in resent years, that is just the feeling that i have :eek:

3. Liquinn Suspended

Apple Magic trackpad?

Hmmm, yeah I'd say so, the refresh is going to be next year. So sure :)

4. blackbinary macrumors member

The refresh is coming around Feb 2012. It will no doubt bring Ivy Bridge processors, and other hardware improvements. It is not certain whether there will be any change to the chassis or a major redesign.

You should buy now if you want a laptop now. There is no reason to wait.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't think MBP will be updated next year. I think apple will update it in late October.

Apple usually hold some sort of Mac Events at their campus in Cupertino almost every single year. MBP update in next year means it will be updated in Feb/March. That's al most like a year cycle. MBPs gets updated way sooner than that. I expect updates in October/November.

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

317 days for the last update, 309 days for the update before that.

I'm willing to wager the next update is next year. Boom.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I just bought an MBP 13" last month to take advantage of a deferred payments option.

Sandy Bridge was the "tick" of Intel's "tick-tock" upgrade strategy and "ticks" are where the major jumps take place, with the "tocks" being improvements to the processes via a die-shrink. So Ivy Bridge will likely not bring any massive improvements to what we have now with Sandy Bridge with the exception of Intel's tri-gate transistor technology.

If I had to guess, I'd say USB 3 would probably be the "major" update for the 2012 MBP 13 upgrade, as that support will be in the Intel Panther Point chipsets by then.

I do not believe we will see significant improvements until Haswell arrives on the MacBook Pro in 2013, so I bought now.

8. stuartmack1974 macrumors member

Hey there,

I just bought a Macbook 15 this weekend and absolutely love it, even if my eyes are still getting used to the screen size. Its a beautiful piece of kit, so i say go for it my man! :D

Stu

9. Kyllle macrumors 6502

There will probably be a small upgrade late this year (october/november) with a bigger one next summer.

That's just my guess, it seems like Apple updates the pros every 10 months or so.

If you need it know, but it now though, because it may not refresh until next year.

10. scottgroovez macrumors regular

If you need one now then buy it now. People get too hung up on waiting/upgrading to the latest stuff. Buy/use/enjoy now.

11. Grillz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks alot guys for all your advice. It's true I could just sit here waiting for the rest of my life for the latest updated mac, I just don't wanna miss out on any major inovations. I guess its cause when i bought my imac about 5 or 6 years ago they brought out the macs with intel a few months after and i was gutted cause they are much better and mine was instantly worth nothing.

12. Semaphoric macrumors member

Hey Stu,

What configuration did you get for your MBP 15? Did you get it at a retail store?

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i have the 15inh 2011 edition macbook pro too

its ana wesome computer.

ifu have a laptop already than sure wait, but the current macbook pros are pretty nice and have top of the line specs.

if ur going to college this fall and need a laptop, then yes buy now and enjoy it!

14. stuartmack1974 macrumors member

Hey,

Just bought the standard 15 - more than enough for my needs, did consider the matte but went for glossy in the end. I did want to purchase from a local independent but they'd gone bust after Apple opened a store in the city - shame.

Its a great piece of kit, go buy.

Stu:D