is it a good time to buy refurb MBA rev. c

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lbjsong, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. lbjsong macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2009
    is it a good time to buy refurb MBA rev. C?
    or just wait for the new update?

    what's the differences between rev b and c?
    what changed? I cannot find much except price differences.
    Is heating issue still there in C?

    is it okay to watch HD Youtube ?
    or even HD Movies?
    HD Movies will make Air like a stove?

    I Have so many questions..
    for me, its either MBA or iMac.
    bit of different system, but will get the job done I guess

    thx in advance
  2. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    B and C are both considered v 2,1. They have the same mainboard and CPU is the same series.

    CPU - goes from 1.6/1.86 to 1.86/2.13 (all are SL9x00 Penryn C2D)
    GPU - same
    RAM - same
    Drive - same
    Form Factor - same
    Ports - same
    Appearance - same
    Software - same
    Display - same

    Changes... (other than CPU spec bump), battery bumped a tiny bit barely noticeable to the end user (probably to meet Energy Star requirements), and now includes USB to Ethernet dongle. That's literally it. If it were an actual change at all, Apple would have labeled it MBA 2,2. If it were a serious update including new logic board, or other system changes it will probably become 3,1.

    If you want to do more of the higher intensity video stuff, you really need the 1.86 GHz or 2.13 GHz CPUs. Also, the 128 GB SSD really performs exceptionally well versus the HDD.

    Both v 2,1 MBAs are limited to 2 GB of RAM forever. Unless you're only buying the rev 2,1 MBA for a year of use, I would strongly recommend waiting for the update to the MBA. It could come out next week, next month, next year, or be EOL'd - nobody knows. I wouldn't advice buying the 2,1 unless you plan to update soon and can get a really good deal on it. Right now, if I had to have a Mac notebook, I would buy a WhiteBook as it's the best current value. I just don't think it's acceptable to pay $1549 for a rev C that is ten month old technology... at $1100, sure. Buy and then upgrade to the real rev c (3,1) when it's released.

    Good luck.

Share This Page